Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XP Home Permission Setting

XP Home Permission Setting

I am going to be upgrading to windows XP Home due to the fact that I am too poor to afford Pro. My qyestion is this. When I upgrade will I be able to modify permissions for files and folders individually? In my limited experience the answer is no. If any of you know a free tool that will modify the permissions like you can do in 2000 pro please post a link so i can get it. I really don't want this to be more of a hassle than it already is going to be.
    The answer to all how to questions: Very carefully with a large stick.

\"Dogs f***ed the Pope. No fault of mine.\" Hunter S. Thompson

Hi Gir, just out of curiosity, what is the price difference where you are?

You sound as if you already have Win 2000 Pro, so would XP Home really represent that much of an upgrade? particularly in a home or SOHO environment (you did say you were too poor, so I guess we are not talking Fortune 500 here? )

The reason I am asking is that I have had this sort of conversation several times recently. Mainly the issue was that Vista is due out shortly, so is it worth migrating a stable and functional system onto what would seem to be quite a short term solution?

A bit of advice:

1. Make sure you have the drivers for your legacy hardware.
    2. Take a look at your RAM...................... XP likes a lot of resource

AOs Resident Troll
    Yep.......I do it on my machines

As long as you install it on the NTFS file system

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Blast From the Past
    Originally posted here by nihil
    The reason I am asking is that I have had this sort of conversation several times recently. Mainly the issue was that Vista is due out shortly, so is it worth migrating a stable and functional system onto what would seem to be quite a short term solution?

Yes vista is due out soon... but come on. i was still using 98se for the first year and a half of XP's life...

Vista is going to be a big change to the windows platform... more then xp was.. and because of this major change it will take some time before Vista is the new absolute standard.... When people at bestbuy ask me if XP is still ok to purchase since Vista is on the way i say yes with positive assurance.... XP is still a great OS. wait for Vista to roll out from the starting line and get a lap or two down before you migrate
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

Hi hex~ that was kind of the discussion I have been having.

People still use old operating systems if they work. I still have 98SE and ME because they are still in use in the home and SOHO environments around here.

True, I would not recommend diving straight into Vista, so right now, a more modest hardware platform with XP Pro is what I would recommend and go for.

The question that arises is where people are still using Win 2000, and a lot are around here, including the local government, hospitals, schools, colleges, businesses. They are not going to go out and blow thousands on new kit until they have to. So the issue is whether to upgrade the OS for no apparent reason, or wait for a stable VISTA, by which time they will probably want to replace the hardware anyway?

You skipped Win ME did you not?................ same kind of thinking here, I reckon. They are using Win 2000 and it works. They would have to pay for an XP upgrade and probably face additional costs for hardware and peripheral upgrades in some cases.

The issue is whether to wait for VISTA or not, given that they have no intention of major hardware replacement until then.

My reasons for upgrade are the fact that I want to use Windows live mesesnger and you cant install it on 2000 pro. I purchased the copy of XP Home over a year ago and installed it on the machine. Since I use it mostly for gaming and it is on the low end of the power scale (500MHZ PIII) i went with 2000 pr since it wasnt as resource intensive. As for a tool if someone could direct me towards a free one that works that would be nice if for no other reason to know about it, I have decided to dual boot the system since I had a free 10GB partition I wasnt really using so I guess i don't really need the tool seing as i can do all the modding under 2000 pro.
    The answer to all how to questions: Very carefully with a large stick.

\"Dogs f***ed the Pope. No fault of mine.\" Hunter S. Thompson

Hoopy Frood
    Originally posted here by morganlefay
    Yep.......I do it on my machines

As long as you install it on the NTFS file system

MLF
    Really? On my XP Home with NTFS, I couldn't modify any of the ACLs. Is your an OEM version of XP that came with a computer or off the shelf version?

- Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by xierox
    Really? On my XP Home with NTFS, I couldn't modify any of the ACLs. Is your an OEM version of XP that came with a computer or off the shelf version?
    It seems you can only change the ACL's if you boot to Safe Mode..

http://whoozoo.co.uk/winxpFilePerms.htm
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Hoopy Frood
    Originally posted here by SirDice
    It seems you can only change the ACL's if you boot to Safe Mode..

http://whoozoo.co.uk/winxpFilePerms.htm
    Learn something new every day. Thanks!

- Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

My reasons for upgrade are the fact that I want to use Windows live mesesnger and you cant install it on 2000 pro
    Really? try this:-

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Interne...senger-8.shtml

I think it was the beta before this release that you were only supposed to use with XP?