Thread: IIS 5 & 6 with Basic Authentication and Integrated Windows Authentication

King Tutorial-ankhamun

IIS 5 & 6 with Basic Authentication and Integrated Windows Authentication

I just found something counter intuitive, maybe someone here could explain why things work this way. If you have both IWA (Integrated Windows Authentication) and BA (Basic Authentication) checked in IIS, Firefox will not work authentication (unless you force it to use NTLMv1), it prompts fo a password but never works. However, if only BA is checked it will work. You would think that between IIS and Firefox it would negotiate to use BA if it was checked in IIS, but that does not seem to be the case. To cut to the chase, out of the box Firefox only seem to work if IWA is not checked off in IIS. Anyone know why this is? Before anyone asks, yes I know to force SSL if BA is used. Thanks.

Hey Hey,

FireFox is supposed to have full support for NTLMv2 (something it didn't always have)...

Have you tried adding the host to network.automatic-ntlm-auth.trusted-uris in about:config... This might cause it to work...

Peace,
    HT

I've found this to be true when implementing a wordpress blog on my intranet. Since everyone uses IE except for a couple of us in IT, I've always put this on the back burner. My implementation happens to be on a private lan/wan, so it's not a big deal to me. Anyway, you're not alone. I'd also like to know why. I've never taken the time to find out.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    Yes, I tried the network.automatic-ntlm-auth.trusted-uris trick, but from what I read Firefox only supports NTLMv1.