Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how to make a program portable?...

how to make a program portable?...

Is there anyway to make a program thats supposed to be runned by hard drive to be ran off disc on another computer. I know this would involve having every system driver and file required but how to know which files the installer installs... I tried to use a tracking program but its cheap and doesn't work. Anybody have any ideas. I am guessing you might need the reg entries as well.... any thoughts? The reason I want it portable is the computer I want to use it on doesnt have installation permission but doesnt mind if you run a program... Tried it before with the more basic progams and it worked..

The easiest way is to ask permission to install the programme from the administrator who set the security settings. If you dont have permission to install a program on the computer then there is a reason for it.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

for educational purposes...

for educational purposes...
    Yours?
    Maybe you should clarify why you need to by pass the security put in place by the network admin firstly. Also you could give more information on the type of program you are trying to run and on what type of system.
    Cheers
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

AOs Resident Troll
    or you could use....the run as feature

then type the administrator username and password in.

If you dont know the administrator password....

.....go get your own machine and run it on that

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

ok how bout just a program that lets you track waht gets installed for security purposes...How do you want me to narrow down what type of program. -Windows

AOs Resident Troll
    I get it now...you want to run windows...while you are logged onto and using a computer that wont let you install progams...but will allow you to run them...from a drive...other then the drive running the operating system.......

Wow...I think this may be way over my head

MLF

Wow i'm glad you summed it up Morganlefay I wasn't sure I understood. Acdspit what we are trying to say is we cant answer your question as you haven't given us enought information on the technical side of what you want to do. When we ask the type of program it is because a command line program isn' the same as a multi-user accountancy programe that calls on a few database servers on the side. One is fairly easy to make "portable" the other isn't. And on the second part we wont answer your question as is because you aren't clear enought about why you want to do this and what the program is meant to do. Maybe you should rephrase your question or ask it on one of the many hacking sites on the web! Still you haven't been negged yet so it is not all bad.
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

AOs Resident Troll
    I dont neg newbs...unless they get rude

but other people do

as MURACU stated....we will need more info other then
    How do you want me to narrow down what type of program. -Windows
    Windows has many flavors?

Windows what????

MLF

Write it in a high level programming language. You could also
    check out the difference between dynamic linking and static linking.
    Simple executables don't really need to be "installed"
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.