Thread: Software Access Point

Software Access Point

Hello,

I am doing some testing on my wireless network and wanted to try and use a software access point on my laptop to try and see if I connect with another laptop if it will authenticate with my hardware AP or my fake one.

I looked at SoftAP by PCtel but they have discontinued it. I looked into Asus and their softap solution but see you need to buy their wireless PC card.

Does anyone know of any other softAP type software out there?

Thanks,

Enforcer

salut

hmm, as far as i know every card which will support ap mode has the necessary tools delivered with itself if you buy it....(at least for windows os). so if there wasn't any software delivered with your laptop its most likly because it isn't supported....

if you're interessted in software for linux there ist hostap: http://hostap.epitest.fi/
    (only for prism chip...)

Retsiem
    \"Knowledge is the Real Power\"

I'm not sure whether a purely software AP is possible with most wifi hardware (/firmware). However, some hardware does support the necessary features.

The examples I'm aware of are under Linux, either the "hostap" driver / software for the prism2 (PCI and PC-Card NOT USB) , and the "Atheros" driver.

The "Atheros" driver supports a special feature which allows you to run an accesspoint from any Atheros chipset board, I think.

Moreover it can also do clever things such as:
    - Running an AP while simultaneously connected to another as a normal host
    - Running more than one AP at once

It's great

I think all the ones for Windows are hardware-specific and commercial.

Slarty

Re: Software Access Point

Originally posted here by Network Enforce
    Hello,

I am doing some testing on my wireless network and wanted to try and use a software access point on my laptop to try and see if I connect with another laptop if it will authenticate with my hardware AP or my fake one.

I looked at SoftAP by PCtel but they have discontinued it. I looked into Asus and their softap solution but see you need to buy their wireless PC card.

Does anyone know of any other softAP type software out there?

Thanks,

Enforcer
    Hi,

You may want check this out.

Regards.