Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: firewall configuration.

Outpost firewall version 1.0.1817.1645

Greeting's

It seems you are using the free version of outpost. which is too old, anyway try making a new configuration. Click on File new configuration, let it select everything autocatically.. then try out
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

Wel I tried looking under file but all that I found was "always on top" and "exit". I actually couldn't find any thing about a new configuration.

Thumbs up

I have tried ZA and few other popular personal firewalls but not outpost. The best was the Kerio (now Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall). No other product came close to it.

I have been using it It ( free version) for ages and never had a problem.

May be u should try it ?

regards
    skel

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    saint-frances,
    occasionally, I find cleaning out my DNS cache does the trick. I use Outpost Pro and it's a solid product. I was going to tell you to turn off the DNS Cache plug-in for your version of Outpost but, I realized you also had the same problem with Zone Alarm which told me, it wasn't the Outpost plug-in. Sometimes, I get stuck loading pages (like you do) and until I flush out my DNS, the pages won't load. See the fact that you say -
    IE just gives me a blank screen and says "website found. Waiting for reply" and it will just sit there as long as I let it.
    leads me to believe that this is not a firewall problem.
    So, I want you to try this:
    Start --> Run --> (type in) Cmd
    Hit Enter
    Then type: Ipconfig /Flushdns
    Try using your IE /Firefox after that.
    Let me know if this helps you out.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Thanks for the advice shag devil but it didn't work either. Firefox just says "waiting for ....".

BTW, outpost says that firefox is using internal port 1046. Isn't it supposed to use port 80?

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    saint-francis,
    I don't think the internal port matters (as you're making outbound connections) the important port is the remote port.
    I have another question saint-frances. If you open up your Outpost and view network activity, while you open up IE /Firefox, does it appear as though it's making an outbound connection? I'm assuming it is. Have you checked all your configurations of your network connections? DHCP, IP etc.?
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Greeting's

Here is the best solution.

1. Close all instances of FF, IE, Opera (or anyother browser on the PC)
    2. Right click on outpost icon on the taskbar
    3. Select "POLICY"
    4. SELECT DISABLE
    5. Start the browser on the PC and visit google.com
    6. See if it works.

If it does work, the problem is outpost and specifically DNS or outbound rule in Outpost

Oh, if it does work dont start visiting all the site's you like, please take care of the problem and then start visiting all the site's.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

Hi

Try a System Restore prior to downloading and installing ZA, see if this clears up the problem.

With either firewall disabled can you still access the net? What router are you using, does it have a built in firewall?

Also you might want to try
    Winsock XP fix

WinSock XP Fix offers a last resort if your Internet connectivity has been corrupted due to invalid or removed registry entries. It can often cure the problem of lost connections after the removal of Adware components or improper uninstall of firewall applications or other tools that modify the XP network and Winsock settings. If you encounter connection problems after removing network related software, Adware or after registry clean-up; and all other ways fail, then give WinSock XP Fix a try. It can create a registry backup of your current settings, so it is fairly safe to use. We actually tested it on a test machine that was having a Winsock problem due to some Adware removal, and after running the utility and rebooting, the connectivity was restored.
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

ok. tried to disable outpost under options; didn't work. Tried winsock xp fix and then tcpip xp repair; didn't work. and it does appear as though firefox is making connections. My router does have a firewall and it is turned off. It is a dsl modem router combo. Westell 327w. Have yet to try a system restore though.

Thanks for all of the help. Every one is being really great.