Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: firewall configuration.

firewall configuration.

Ok I know that this probably seems like a naive question but, I am having trouble getting my firewall to work. I tried using zonealarm and it would allow all connections to the Internet except for browsing. I uninstalled it and then installed outpost and am having the same problem. I can ping websites and the router but I can't access these locations with the browser. They just don't load. I am assuming that port 80 is being blocked for some reason, but I can't figure out how or by what. The only way that I can access the Internet with firefox or ie is if I shut off outpost. I tried forwarding port 80 in my router to no avail.

Any ideas?

When the little bubble window popped up on zonealarm, did you grant iexplore.exe permission to go to the internet?

Greeting's

http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/sbs...nfigure.html..

Dont mind asking, if you find this guide tough to follow. Properly configuring your firewall is very important.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

net2infinity, possibly the weirdest occurrence in this whole situation is that neither za or outpost asked me what to do when I ran ie or firefox. On both I manually set both browsers as fully allowed.

Bizarre no?

Don't know bytewrangler. The page wouldn't load for me. I have tried it multiple times.

I seem to be making a lot of those faces recently.

Greeting's

It seems that you are having two firewall's running on same system. Which is not a good idea. Uninstall one of the firewall's ASAP. I like outpost over Zonealarm but its hard to configure, as compared to Zonealarm.. Make your choice and uninstall one of them ASAP.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Believe in yourself.

I only have one firewall running that I am aware of. Windows XP firewall is definately turned off. I had za running, but I experienced the aforementioned problem, so I uninstalled it. It was then that I installed outpost. And outpost is displaying the same properties.
    For the record, I have yet to purge the registry of any trace of za, but that should be irrelevant since it was happening after a format and clean install of XP and there had never been any firewall of the system before.

Banned
    What's the (IE) error message you're getting?

IE just gives me a blank screen and says "website found. Waiting for reply" and it will just sit there as long as I let it.

Greeting's

Seems like SVCHOST problem in outpost... whats your version..
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Believe in yourself.