Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: firewall configuration.

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    saint-francis,
    Well, by disabling Outpost and still having the same issue, at least eliminates the firewall as being the problem. I'm convinced it's a DNS issue but, I'm not 100% positive. You've already flushed your DNS on your system and that didn't work. I wonder if it's a DNS setting on your router? Could you do me a favor and run Ipconfig /all for me and copy the results here ? Maybe we could take a look at your DHCP and IP settings and see if something looks odd there. If that's not the problem, maybe it's a router setting. Let's try this step first.
    In case you don't know:
    Start-->Run-->Cmd
    Ipconfig /All
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Hmmmm. Can't copy from the command prompt. So I have enclosed a screen shot of it.

saint-francis,
    I'm not sure why, but your IPconfig shows 2 DNS servers with the same IP address (192.168.1.1). This seems odd to me. You should only have one...unless I'm missing something. Well, it's late. I'll see what I can dig up tommorrow.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Hi,

I don't use OutPost, and I don't have exposure to the problem mentioned, but thought I would drop a few ideas.

1] How about analyzing the problem with the help of OSI Model?
    2] How about Capturing Network Traffic? Look at the data at each Layer and see if it provides any clues in solving the problem?
    3] How about using tools like netstat or tracert?

BTW, I came across this Thread on OutPost Firewall forums, and thought you would be interested in having a look at it. It's quite an old thread though.

http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum...ead.php?t=5331

http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum...highlight=6000

http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum...&threadid=5443

Thanks
    -We May Need To Solve Problems Not By Removing The Cause, But By Designing The Way Forward Even If The Cause Remains In Place-

Edward de Bono

saint-francis,
    I checked around and couldn't find any links that relate to 2 DNS servers with identical IP's in the IPConfig listing. I even tried to replicate the issue on my system by putting in the same DNS servers for Preferred and Alternate DNS servers, but Windows wouldn't let me.
    Can you try this: Start -->Settings-->Network Connections, right-click on your connection and select Properties. In the "this connection uses the following items" scroll down and double-click "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)"
    do you have "Obtain DNS server address automatically" selected?

If you do, I'd like you to try something else.
    In the same window you have open "Internet Protocol TCP/IP Properties" select the Advanced button, then select the DNS tab and tell me what is has listed in the "DNS Server addresses in order of use"

Ok bytewrangler, "obtain dns server addresses automatically" is selected. "DNS Server addresses in order of use" is empty.

saint-francis,
    Ok, the plot thickens. I'm still stumped why your NIC has two identical IP addresses for a DNS server (192.168.1.1). Well, I'm guessing you want your router to handle DNS requests/DNS Relays and that the router's IP is 192.168.1.1. This is fine. Since I have no idea why you're getting 2 DNS servers, let's maybe try a couple more IPconfig commands.
    Do these commands in this order:
    run IpConfig /release
    run IpConfig /renew
    run Ipconfig /flushdns
    run Ipconfig /registerdns
    run Ipconfig /all
    Then attach a screen copy like you did last time of the Ipconfig /all.
    If this shows no changes, I'm guessing it has to be a router issue at this point. There may be some protocol issues that I'm missing but I'm trying one thing at a time. Thanks.

Alright.

Bytewrangler, I tried all of the commands you suggested. I am still experiencing the problem.
    Attached is the new screen shot.

Thank you very much.

saint-francis,
    Ok then. Let's focus on the router.
    Have you tried turning your router off and rebooting it? Sometimes that works in resolving issues I have.
    Also, would you consider restoring the factory settings on your Westell 327W? I don't know how much configuring you did at this point. Would restoring the factory settings of the router be out of the question? (if you decide to do this, make sure you know your default factory login/password before you go ahead and restore it). There should be a small hole on the back of your router where you can use a paperclip or something small to press a button (I think you might need to hold it down for 10 or so seconds).
    Another question, are you hardlined (ethernet cable) into the router or are you connecting wirelessly? Whichever way you are connected, maybe you should switch it up and see if that works.

So I reset the modem. I haven't touched it in any way accept to connect to the isp. No go. The pc is connected to the router via ethernet and doesn't have a wireless nic so I switched things up by connecting it to a different port on the router.

I have 2 nics in this computer. Could the nic be bad? Or could that have any thing to do with this?
    I have no clue. I guess I'll try switching it just in case.

Thanks