Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EMachines not working.....

Can you remember how many beeps you got when it was making a noise?.........was it more than one?

I suspect that a basic machine like e-machines probably uses onboard video. If you have an old PCI video card or can borrow one, that would be an alternative to r3b00+'s suggestion.

Can you remember what colour the HDD light was when it worked?

Partial failure of the motherboard and/or power supply unit could cause this, but we really need to find out more.

It does not make any beeps now that it does not work, but when it did work it would make when it was loading up. The light around the Emachines button was green, and now it does not make any color, the only color is the little orange light above the "can" figure.
    This plan is frocking nuts!

OK, that sounds even more like power supply/motherboard issues. E-machines are sort of noted for this I guess from what you have said it is most likely to be the power supply, although it might have damaged the MoBo as well.

First thing I would do is slave the HDD to another box and recover any important data. Then try another PSU if you have/can borrow one that is compatible...............be careful, you will probably have to run it outside of the case.

If you are not confident and experienced with these things you may want to take it to someone who is, or to a repair shop for testing.

Get your data first

It's a gas!
    You say you hear humming from inside the case? If this is still the case remove the cover from your pc and start it up. Notice any activity inside the pc i.e. fans spinning, noise coming from your hdd, any lights on the motherboard? If so then your psu is fine.
    Do you know anyone with a pc?
    Are you confident installing/replacing components?

I have some friends who know a lot about computers....my cousin is the person who knows the most. He actually showed me this website, his name on here is "The Duck". I will give him a call sometime to see if he can help me with it. Thank you for your help

Hi MT~ please be cautious of "lights".............it takes .000001 of an Ampere or whatever, to fire up an LED, but that does not mean that the device will work. Similarly, you can have a dead LED that doesn't light up, yet the attached device is fine

If your PSU has simply started to degrade you will see these things. How about your 3.5" floppy drive (if you have one).......... that should have a green light on it? does that light up and flicker?

The only lights that turn on is the orange one by the can that is very small and the light on the CD disc tray, which is green and is a bar that goes sideways, it is about half an inch long.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Well then, it appears I have returned from a long absence... How's it going nihil ...

MT, you'll have to open your PC to troubleshoot it this time... First thing is to open the case and turn on the computer... Do you feel/hear the HDD (hard drive) running? If you put your hand on it can you feel heat being produced from it? Are these 'clicks' that you hear coming from the HDD, cd drive or Floppy drive?

I also think it's a PSU/motherboard issue... Look around the motherboard (biggest circuit board in the case) and look for any signs of leaking or bulging capacitors, burn marks, or any other damage.... The capacitors are the things that look like batteries... and when they leak it will look like rusty ooze is coming out of it. Bulging capacitors will look like it's... well... bulging from the top... as opposed to having a flat top like a normal capacitor...

If it's a motherboard problem I highly suggest you just take it to a repair shop... I can't help you seeing as how your in a different state ...

However, you could also try going to a computer supply shop and buying a 400 watt ATX PSU for $40 bucks...

At this point, with the info you've given, I'd say it's 50/50 between the PSU and mobo... Although the HDD description you gave doesn't sound good either... A bad PSU or mobo could have taken the HDD with it... Have there been any storms in your area as of late?

Also... be sure to touch the metal on the inside of the case before messing with the circuitry inside... Doing this before and continually will get rid of the static electricity that get's stored up in your body...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Sounds like a Emachine to me.

I know i recently bought one and have problems like that some times. How old is the computer tho? if its under 2 years it should be fine. if its older than 2 years you should just got get a whole new system in my opinion. Also if you want to see if its just the hard drive thats gone bad (which it sounds like) stick another one in with it as the main C drive. if the drive is working properly it will also show up. If not try to launch the reboot process with the 2nd drive in. Ive been up against a few problems with mine where it wont start at all. it will turn it self off. just try re-installing the OS.
    ___LocoChild___