Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EMachines not working.....

EMachines not working.....

I have an EMachines Desktop computer and it has stopped working several days ago. I first noticed this problem on Sunday of this week. I had left it on all weekend, and it had been on for a total of 3 days. When I woke up Sunday morning, it was off, but I turned it on and it worked fine, then went to take a shower. When I returned after that, it was off again, and when I turned it on, the light around the "E" did not turn on, but I could hear it running. The only lights that turned on was one on the disc tray, which did not come out, and one below the "E" light which was orange. It had a picture of what looks like a can over it. The monitor turns on but does not detect the computer and it goes into sleep mode. I am not that smart when it comes to computers so if someone could help me it would be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you!
    This plan is frocking nuts!

faulty wiring, perhaps? Double check all your connections - 9 times out of 10 thats the case.
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    What [WebCarnage] said plus while you are in the case checking the connections look at the top of the capaciters on the motherboard and see if any of them have burst (will look like rust on the top of them).

It's a gas!
    Any post beeps?
    Do you hear the hdd spinning from inside the case?

When I turn it on it beeps then it sounds like it is clicking a few times then it makes no noise but the humming that a lot of pcs do.

Hmmm,

A possible cause could be the hard drive just died. You will need to find out what make it is and look here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 or on the manufacturer's website for a diagnostic tool.

I am guessing that the "can" symbol is the hard drive, as that is a pretty standard annotation in the industry.

Most branded machines that I have seen have a green light that is either solid or flickers depending on disk activity. Do you recall if it used to do this, or maybe there is something in the manual.

I don't like the sound of the "orange" light............... that would seem to indicate a problem.

So if the harddrive died then....its ruined? Is there any way to fix it after that? And what would happen to everything on the computer?

The first thing to do is check the hard drive and see if that actually is the problem.

How many beeps do you get when you start it up?

It actually isn't making any beeps now, it just clicks 3 times then continues humming and nothing else happens

It's a gas!
    If the hdd was the problem, this wouldnt cause the video signal to not be transmitted, although the clicking noises would indicate a hdd problem. You may have a number of problems here. If your video card is 3rd party i.e. pci, agp, etc., then check if there is built in video on the mobo - check for an additional 15 pin female adaptor on the back of the case and try connecting your monitor to that, while the comp is off of course. This will indicate that your video card is ok, and maybe give you access to the display which will make troubleshooting the problem alot more easier.