Thread: just a quick question about EATX PSU

Blast From the Past

just a quick question about EATX PSU

hey all

last nigt i dropped 600 on an am2 asus board, am2 64bit 3800, 1gig dualchannel ddr800, and a 256meg 7600gs sli pcie card.... i DO NOT want to fry this thing

i have a standard 20pin atx powersupply... 500watt

my m2n sli asus board with nforce570 has the 24pin atx connector

i heard that you can plug the regular 20 in and be fine... but i would like to hear from someone here that i trust...

and also.. what would i be losing.. thats 4 pins... 2 12 and 2 grnd connections *i believe*.... what will not function without that.

il probably end up buying a 24pin atx psu... but right now im recoverying from the current damage to my wallet... so anything i can use to get buy right now would be fantastic!

thanks guys!
    peace
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

It's a gas!
    Have you thought about one of these?
    Its hardly going to break the bank!

Or have a read of this

Blast From the Past
    i should of grabbed one of thoes before i left the store... o well... the comp store i go to the guy knows me well.. gives me sweet deals like ddr800 for the price of ddr533

il see if he can snag me one.

but for future refrence... can you run the motherboard without the extra 4 pins? ive heard it can but im not sure

It's a gas!
    You allegedly can, although i havent tried it personally.

Well hexadecimal I just take it from the Good Book where it tells you not to put new wine into old skins. I am the same with PSUs and will never put an old one into a new system.

They physically deteriorate with age/usage.................. particularly the cheap and nasty ones.

A 24 pin will suit a 20 pin MoBo no problem, as there is a 4 pin bit that clips off to make them compatible.

The other way round is another issue.............. AFAIK the extra pins are to support some PCIE devices, If your video card has a separate power supply connection (as many of the upper range ones do) then this should not be an issue.

Notwithstanding that, I would not use an old PSU (whatever connectors it had) or one that was not SLI Certified (look for the label ) on kit such as you have described.

At the end of the day it is your call, because it is your $600.

Good luck

Blast From the Past
    im gonna have to get by with the one i have untill next paycheck at least.

i can get an sli cert PSU through bestbuy for 25$ (my discount rocks) so no worries there

i didnt know the old atx connector is no longer current or i would of upgraded... silly me. should of researched more