Thread: Do Partitions help

Do Partitions help

Hi there,

I have just done a fresh install on my laptop, and wondered if partitioning the hard drive is a good security measure. Can I partition it and leave all my data and set up files one part and the operation system on the other, in that my data will be secure.

Also is it possible to partition a drive even though windows is already installed?

Frooty bits Jonny
    Sarcasm is a way of life

Regal Making Handler

Re: Do Partitions help

Originally posted here by JonnyFrond
    Hi there,

I have just done a fresh install on my laptop, and wondered if partitioning the hard drive is a good security measure. Can I partition it and leave all my data and set up files one part and the operation system on the other, in that my data will be secure.

Also is it possible to partition a drive even though windows is already installed?

Frooty bits Jonny
    Partitioning is a good measure and not just from a security point of view. Yes there are some persieved security benifits, for instance most virus are coded to attack C:\. So a partition with the OS on it that is other than C:\ defeats these code.

More importantly though, a partion leaves your data untouched should you need to reinstall the OS.

It is possible to create a partition with the OS already installed. You need to use third party apps to do it. I'll leave others to make suggestiopns which to use as I have never tried it.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    for instance most virus are coded to attack C:\. So a partition with the OS on it that is other than C:\ defeats these code
    I recently upgraded a client from 2000 to XP and the system files now reside on D:\ It wasn't for security purposes either, I just wasn't paying attention when I installed it.
    But back to the question at hand. Yes, I think it's a good idea to have an extra partition. Get everything loaded on the one partition, then use some drive imaging software to take a healthy snapshot of your drive/system state and put that on the other partition. This way, if everything goes to hell, you can just restore your healthy OS from the other partition.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Any 3 party apps recomended, any (sorry I'm a scrounger) free ones?

Frond Blagger
    Sarcasm is a way of life

Partitioning is definitely the way to go. Not much free stuff for partitioning on the fly, but here's a one:

http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/Ran...er/ranish.html

Partition Magic, now owned by Symantec, is the 'standard'. I've used it extensively in the past. You can find it in the 'torrents', but downloading it in such a manner would be unethical and you'll never be able to sleep at night again, so be careful.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

I'd have to go with brokencrow on partition magic.

Used it a few times, and I've never had problems with it.

Gonna be hard to find a free one.
    =

you can find "FULL VERSION" of PM in emule (p2p software) like torrents. but i suggest you to take backup before you make partition on running os.
    one of the great day in my life when i found antionline.com

Jonny

In a single word NO!

There is no substitute for a properly implemented BACKUP routine to external media

Let us consider these scenarios:

1. Your laptop is stolen. Well, your hard drive and all its partitions were stolen as well.
    2. Your HDD coughs, makes the click of death and emits the "magic smoke".......... it is a single, physical device so partitions won't help you there.

From a Systems Security viewpoint, partitioning would be "security through obscurity" at its very worst. You only have to look at you AV software...............it happily scans ALL LOCAL DRIVES including the partitions thereon. Malware can do exactly the same thing.

If you look at recent trends in malware, it is mostly network (which includes shares and partitions) aware and consists of worms trojans and backdoors. It may want to install itself on "C:\" but it will access all the rest. If you get owned, all your partitions get owned as well.

OK, partitions obviously have a lot of benefits from the management, maintenance, backup and usage viewpoints; but you did specifically mention security ?

POSITIVE SECURITY ASPECTS:-

1. You have drives, partitions, folders and files. By managing partitions and using the security features of Windows and/or third party tools, you can create an additional layer of granularity in your security model.

2. By using partitions you can organise your content to facilitate your backup and recovery processes.

3. You can use third party tools such as "virtual drive managers" .......... I have a fairly simple one that creates a "virtual partition" within a partition. This "invisible partition" is encrypted and has up to 4 passwords that must be used simultaneously to open it. In addition you don't have to store the management software on the drive

CAVEATS:-

1. Be wary of using third party "partition management" tools on active partitions. I have never had a problem with unused/spare/empty partitions but I have come across serious mishaps with active partitions being resized.

2. If you are going to do this I would recommend that you check disk, defragment, backup, then do it ................ that should minimise your risk/exposure

I would say partition it. Obviously the best time to partition is before the install of the Os but if not used the most upto date version of partition magic you can find. The only time i had any real problems with repartitioning an active disk is when i used an old version of PM on a windows 2000 disk just when it was released.
    Follow Nihils recommendations and you should be ok. I know i have been saved hours of work because of having partitioned a disk in the past.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)