Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Connecting ISA Server to Cisco Router

AOs Resident Troll
    Yes as stated you will have some issues with your connection due the upstream\downstream loads and the limitations of your connection...you may want to consider having a dedicated vpn connection and another one for surfing .....use the cisco's to maintain the vpn connection...that should keep it somewhat secure

I still dont understand the purpose of the ISA....or the nature of the apps....

Once the vpn is established site A will be able to get mail from the exchange on Site B...slowly..and basic file sharing....but you wont be able to run an app over vpn. Is it a SQL based app??...you may need to use the vpn for SQL replication....again chewing bandwidth...

All depends on the application and the number of users we are talking about here. You may want to consider a web based app like Share Point....

As for dynamic IPs ...just ask your ISP to get a static for each end....this will help keep your connection consistant...and reliable.

Anyways, any self respecting security professional wouldn't run any firewall on any Microsoft platform.
    Care to elaborate on that.......and yes I want facts...not just your opinion

BTW.....dont whine about getting negged....cause it will just get you more

From what I can see.....it was a small one (neg)...wait til you get a full whack from a senior...

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

We want to offer this solution because the cost of diginet connectivity between the sites is hellish expensive in our country. ADSL is about the cheapest solution.

You are correct in saying that we can make use of SDM to conf VPN tunnels. My question then is how many tunnels do we create bearing in mind that they need to have a VPN connection to my network and one to theirs. Remember we are passing through the ADSL internet network so we need the connections to be VPN.

Suddenly, I think I've lost myself......

the request I sent earlier is the jist of it. My competitor has offered a similar solution but using a linux instead of windows. We want to make use of windows.
    .....I rather not say....

AOs Resident Troll
    You want to use windows for what???

The client, The server, the applications????

What business applications....
    ???

MLF

I need to create a site to site VPN connection across an ADSL connection using ISA 2004. That's all I can tell you. That's all I have been given to go on. The request is basically to get the ISA Server connected to the Cisco router without having to use 3rd party VPN software or creating a VPN connection from the client workstation.

dont know what else to tell you. They have accounting packages which run off a central server. They have files which are shared between the two sites. We will be hosting the mail and website. We are going to provide them with exchange instead of pop mailboxes.

AOs Resident Troll
    Well...you need more info...

Follow your link then...have the cisco forward the required ports to the ISA.....

And good luck

MLF

You're only going to create 1 VPN tunnel. On Both routers, you are going to setup the ip to connect to, the key, along with the type of encryption and anything else. In reality, you don't _need_ the ISA server, unless you are using it as a gateway or proxy server on the local side of the intranet.

My understanding is you have cisco 877 ------- {internet} ----- cisco 877 ----{intranet}---ISA

You're going to create a VPN connection from the 877 to the other 877. You have to find a program (theres some free out there) that will give you a static DNS hostname to your DYNAMIC IP. Unfortunately, to do this, you will need a static translation that makes your ISA (or another desktop) the IP of the IP given to you by your ISP so the software can detect the IP automatically, and your vpn tunnel won't come crashing for an extended period of time everytime an IP changes.

edit: Did the person you talk to specifically say to create a connection between the ISA and the other 877? I would definately suggest NOT doing that and doing it from 877 to 877 since both items are cisco equip on the end. If you had ANOTHER ISA server on the other side, then that might be different.
    I have my CCNA and i'm currently working towards my CCNP and CSSP.

there is only one ISA server on the B Side.

Zunger you know cisco well?

fairly well, but i've never setup a VPN on a router (only PIX's) or ever used EasyVPN. I would start reading on it, then ask questions as you get to things you don't know. The *DM on the cisco routers should make it pretty easy to setup.
    I have my CCNA and i'm currently working towards my CCNP and CSSP.