Thread: laptop help

laptop help

Hi all, have a compaq 1210us laptop I'm working on and it won't boot, on the original batterie in it it has a button and 4 lights, marked 25,50,75,100, when i hold it in it blinks on 25, guessing either the batterie is dead or not charging, so after that I try from a power source with the batterie removed, it's a poping kind of sound from the speakers but no boot, anyone ever deal with something like this, curious before i go broke on alot of parts

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    Well your battery is going to be 4 years old give or take so it's no great surprise that it might be gone BUT your machine should run off the mains with no problems.

I'd try to get another mains charger to try before buying lots of parts. If your charger has broken it wouldn't charge the battery either.

Also take out all the parts you can. If you can pull the HD and memory easily take them out and try to boot it. Put the bits back in 1 at a time and try to boot after each bit. Try each part in turn also so you can identify if any one part is causing the problem.

Failing that it could be new laptop time. The prices for new ones are so low it pobably isn't economical to fix the compaq so weight that up before you do anything.

I'm not familiar with Compaqs so I don't know how easily they come apart.

thanks aspman, yeah i think i'll take the advice on trying to find the new plug first, not sure where to find one but I'm sure I'll manage, thanks agin