Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canada watch out

Canada watch out

bbC Source

In the south-western corner of the United States, drought has meant that Lake Mead, which supplies the Las Vegas valley, is shrinking fast.
    The Colorado River, a critical source of drinking water for southern California and Arizona, and the feeder of the Hoover Dam, has seen its flow cut by half in the past few years.
    Now the US has turned its attention to its northerly neighbour Canada in hoping to find a solution to its water shortage, but it is not looking easy.
    Lake Mead in the USA is running dry
    The former US ambassador to Canada, Paul Cellucci, says it makes no sense for Canada to refuse to exploit one more of its natural resources.
    Candians be warned the US isn't after your beer but your water. We might start hearing about chemical weapons factories, unrianium enrichment, WMD and other such stuff in the next couple of years is you continue to refuse to let the US have access to your water reserves.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

Nah...great opportunity to charge by the barrell...let's see 45 Gal drum at $2.00 US a Litre (Metrics so much nicer when setting rates ) we just round them off to 250 Ltrs per barrell, so that would be $500.00 US a barrell...alllright

Water is "liquid fuel for growth," says Robert Glennon, a professor of law at the University of Arizona, and one of the world's leading authorities on water policy. Just as human beings can't survive without moisture, economies can die of thirst. And if the U.S. economy continues to be plagued with shortages, the implications for Canada's No. 1 export market will be devastating. "Water is no longer perceived as a gift from God, but a commodity for which one has to pay," says Dr. Isabel Al-Assar, an international trade expert based at the University of Dundee, Scotland. "Water will become like oil one day, I have no doubt about it."

If Al-Assar is right, then Canada, through a miraculous stroke of lucky geography, is sitting on a liquid gold mine. Pinpointing exactly how much Canada could reap by selling fresh water depends heavily on a long list of questions: what price would buyers be willing to pay? How would it be transported? How much could be safely withdrawn without damaging sensitive ecosystems? But in 2001, the Frontier Centre for Public Policy, a Winnipeg-based think tank, constructed a theoretical business model showing that if Manitoba could sell 1.3 trillion gallons of water per year (roughly the amount that drains from provincial rivers into Hudson Bay in only 17 hours) at the same price charged for desalinated sea water in California, the province could reap annual profits of close to $4 billion. In 1992, the World Bank estimated that worldwide trade in water could be worth US$1 trillion within the next generation. Even the opponents of water trade acknowledge that much of that market could belong to Canada.
    http://www.macleans.ca/topstories/po..._116618_116618
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    Yall have alot of snow in winter, just melt some down and send it to the US
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Originally posted here by The Texan
    Yall have alot of snow in winter, just melt some down and send it to the US

haha, thats pretty funny. And the polar ice is melting. We can send you icebergs. But seriously, we already knew that the United States wants our water. That's why it is all owned by canadian companies already :P And the water is mostly in Quebec. 75% of our water is without salt. Hehe, I say let's keep it for us.

AOs Resident Troll
    Personally ...I like Daleks idea.......

Hehe, I say let's keep it for us.
    yes we need it for our hydroponics

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Hey can I place my order in now? I'd like 10 barrels of 3.2 water......

Connection refused, try again later.

Canada is just an extended province of the United States.
    They just let them think they are an independent country.

Choke it up canadians or the USA will invade you too!

Originally posted here by umask666
    Canada is just an extended province of the United States.
    They just let them think they are an independent country.

Choke it up canadians or the USA will invade you too!
    Lol...seeings as how we have "provinces" and you have "states", that would make you the 11th "province of Canada"..

Welcome to Canada.....oh and it's BYOB....

Claude Swanson

Originally posted here by dalek
    Lol...seeings as how we have "provinces" and you have "states", that would make you the 11th "province of Canada"..

Welcome to Canada.....oh and it's BYOB....
    I decided today that I am moving there. Montreal to be exact. Imagine that, gore moving to a place where French is spoken! Hehe.

As for the Water problem, I'm personally giving you permission to use Lake Michigan. But you have to ship 222s *Joke*.

Originally posted here by gore
    I decided today that I am moving there. Montreal to be exact. Imagine that, gore moving to a place where French is spoken! Hehe.

As for the Water problem, I'm personally giving you permission to use Lake Michigan. But you have to ship 222s *Joke*.
    Noooo, if it's French you want, just stop at the Town of Tecumseh, at the end of Windsor, towards London, they speak a lot of French there....
    Francophonies

Hmmm Lake Michigan, is it anything like Lake Erie, we could swap....

Claude Swanson