why i hate microsoft, xp and now creative
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: why i hate microsoft, xp and now creative

why i hate microsoft, xp and now creative

I had perfectly good dual boot system (Win2k & Ubuntu) until I tried to install that piece of ****. Recently I’ve bought Zen Vision: M which, as I found out when I got home, only works w/ XP sp2. I know some of you will say that I should’ve checked beforehand but excuse me for expecting for it to work on still this very ubiquitous OS (2k). I won’t bullshit you by saying that I went and shelled out cash for XP right away. I took a OEM CD from my job to evaluate it first. Thank god for that!

1. The install CD never asked me if I want to reformat the 1st partition (originally 2k) It just assumed and ****ing installed itself along side 2k which broke the 2k install and created a “messy” XP install. BTW I backed up everything from win2k into Linux /home beforehand.

2. Upon second reinstall the XP recognized that it’s installed already so it actually gave me a choice of partition but again not reformat option, So I deleted the first partition and tried to create it again (and then reformat). IT TOLD ME THAT THERE ARE TOO MANY PARTITIONS ALTHOUGH I KNOW FOR SURE THAT MY LINUX PARTITIONS WERE IN EXTENDED SPACE not primary. I was forced to kill my nonessential partitions from Linux and just leave “/home” w/ all my data backed up for Windows to create a partition for itself. I figured I’ll get my data later when I install XP. At this point my Linux system is broken as well.

i. I finally do clean XP install. When I click on anything on the desktop it won’t open for any apparent reason. Only if I try to shut down the system all these windows pop up like they were being opened all the while.
    ii. It won’t recognize Zen Vision: M ( And believe me I tried everything. Too long to go into but in all fairness it might be creative fault).
    iii. What happened to the clear installation of hardware from 2k. Everything is searching for it’s own driver on any ****ing change. (switched mouse from 1 USB to another but the system cannot find a driver… WTF) I installed Alcohol 52 “virtual drive” & XP is trying to find a driver to it and didn’t find it… WTF
    iv. Won’t connect to my existing network although I switched to WORKGROUP instead of XP default.

Eventually I had to go to sleep. If you have any ideas let me know. All I can say that if I didn’t have a choice as regular Joe and had to pay for this **** in the store I’d be beyond pissed. I haven’t paid for any M$ product in years and this just reassured me in my decision. Also … BYE BYE Soundlasters. If creative wants to support proprietary protocols like MTP you won’t get my money.

edit:

BTW I'm returning the Zen and buying Cowon (works perfectly w/ linux) and moving to linux 100% The only downside at this point is that I won't be able to play ALL games I want
    /dev/humor: not found

StOrM™
    Greeting's

With ALL DUE RESPECT :

How does this fit in Microsoft Security discussion ?
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

so move it into general disc. i don't care

StOrM™
    Greeting's

so move it into general disc. i don't care
    Would same attitude (I DONT CARE) help, if we take you and your issue's the same way. I'm not personally attacking you at all, so dont take me wrong. I know you might be frustrated with the entire issue but disrespect will not help you much.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

AOs Resident Troll
    If XP finds an already existing NTFS partition ...it will ask you do you want to install on that partition....also if it finds an previous version of windows on the machine ...it will ask you if you want to upgrade it.

If you dont pick those options it will give you the option of removing the existing partitions and formating.......

I guess you just kept clicking next next next...without fully comprehending what the consequences were.....

I dont know why this is microsofts fault.....

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

I'm not frustrated w/ my issue.

I'm frustrated w/ pointless posts about post not being in the "correct" forums. I've seen some threads that I didn't think would belong where they are but they stay. I'm already used to getting my posts moved even though everyone knows that once the thread is moved from front page it will never be seen again.

AOs Resident Troll
    You certainly are living up to your name there unhappy ...

moan groan whine whine...

When I get like that...I WINE...red as a matter of fact

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Well,

If you wanted to dual boot you should have created a separate partition first.

Also, you would probably be better off using third party software like Partition Magic.

Another factor is that OEM software is for new computers only. You might expect problems if the OEM version is loaded second and "sees" another version.

morgan... it's very presumptuous of you to assume that i'm one of those retards who click "next"

but if even so ... upgrading and OS doesn't mean making the partition dual boot w/ 2k being broken and leaving all not transfering accounts and other stuff

anyway sorry if i'm coming off as nasty ...

BUT THE NERVE of windows not to even recognise Linux partitions for dual boot and then force me to kill some of them becasue "it" cannot install itself into the free ****ing 30 gigs is bullshit

edit

where can I whine if not on AO? Mac forum or Slashdot?

BTW ... I DID feel like taking couple of Stoli shots and slamming them on the bar