Thread: Folder locker problem

Folder locker problem

Hi,

I got a problem.
    I had used folder locker software and I had stored my important documents within that documents.
    But, my friend uninstalled this program from my computer. And when i moved to this location, the documents were not there. I was using trial version.

I know, may be it can be recover from System Restore. But it moves the whole system to the previous stage.
    Now can anyone suggest me what i have to do now?
    Beyond the existing condition.

Hello Ratna, and welcome to AO,

I am working on a similar problem..........This box was in my attic, and had not been used for just over a year!

Some stuff that you get on trial just counts the days, others look at the system clock.

For a start, I would respectfully suggest that you get the latest trial version of the software, as it should be backwards compatible?

Please let me know what happens

Thanks nihil,

I tried latest version with several times, hoping to get data.
    But, didn't work. Does this software changes a inode value of file? I don't no....
    Any way, Now i am planning for system restore. let's hope it will work.

Ratna, please don't do that just yet!!!!!

I would guess that your friend got the usual "register(buy) or uninstall" message?

Problem with that is it probably deleted the files it was protecting..............he would not have noticed/read the message?

You might want to try a "file recovery" exercise first. Who knows, maybe a new trial version will find your hidden folders then?

Cheers

Johnno

By The Way...................."system restore" will only recover your Windows stuff; not that of third party software

Ok nihil,
    I will not do it, i will follow exactly your steps.
    I will try it by using recovery software first.
    I had stored some .dat file also.
    Lets see, in which extent it will success.
    I hope the result.
    I will definitely inform u ok.

Thanks again nihil.

Greeting's

I'm not sure if this would work.. But regarding your system restore problem, make a restore point now... Restore to the earlier checkpoint where the software you wanted was there.. Recover the file's... and then either undo restore or just restore to the point you took right now..
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

Hi,
    Thanks ByteWrangler, i would definitely get your suggestion later.
    Now i am trying to recover it with recovery software.

I tried with easy recovery software.
    It recovered only a name of a file not a contents.
    Are you familiar with any familiar recovery software.

Thanks

Hi,

You might try these:

http://www.officerecovery.com/freeundelete/

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.html

The objective is to recover the folder/files first, then use your folder locker software to open it.

Be careful, you really ought to do this from a floppy or CD or another drive (USB?) so as to avoid overwriting anything important.

AOs Resident Troll
    Guess it all depends on how much the data is worth.......

If you really want it...I personally would contact the vendor......

Or I would backup all my data..first before I do any thing...specially your locked foler......Then I would try to restore to the point as suggested...Then reset the date on your machine....see if the software works..try and restore your files....unless you dont have a restore point that goes back that far............

You have to try and trick the software and OS to do what you want it to do....it is possible

Humans are much smarter than computers

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Hmmmm,

That might work morgana~ but I have a kind of bad feeling about this one. I basically doubt if system restore will have saved the user data. I am pretty sure that it won't have saved the application:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...mrestore_whats

I also wonder how the application got deleted. If you have a folder/file security product and you uninstall it, it would not be unreasonable to assume that there was nothing required on the system still being protected by it?...................so it may well have deleted that as well?

Being a "security product" it may well have done a secure delete on top of that

Even if it did a normal delete and the machine continued to be used, there is a good chance that the space has been reused and overwritten.

People generally start uninstalling applications that they don't use or understand when they are running short of space do they not............or they are getting nag screens?

What I don't like is that loading a new version doesn't find the protected folder............it really ought to IMO.

However, I suppose anything is worth a try