Thread: Soft link didn't work in MRTG.

Soft link didn't work in MRTG.

HI all
    I create a mrtg for one cisco switch (24 port). When I have to do the same thing again and agian in the same computer but in different locatation, then I think that I would create a softlink of index file and will made visible through every part of this computer. But when I tried to do so. it gives following error.

ERROR: Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

But when I do the same thing using Hard link , it would work. But I have heard that there is more vulnerability in creating hardlink and give the link to the customer. so plz can anyone suggest me what to do in this situation . ( I will not prefer mrtg twice or thrice in the same computer for same cisco switch).

Thanx in advance.

Umesh

I believe that I am missing something in the translation. Perhaps you could give us more information on what you are trying to accomplish.

ok in short , what I am trying to say you all is how can I access the single mrtg page through multipe directories using soft link..

you mean sym link?

whatever directories you want to be able to access the index file, you can just symlink to it.

Use the command:

ln -s /path/to/file /path/to/directory that you want the link in.

For example if you have a index file in /home/www/index.html and you want it linked to /home/user/bw

the command woudl be

ln -s /home/www/index.html /home/user/bw

that should work for you.

Again this presumes your using linux, which I assume you are.
    =

Apache will not follow symlinks (softlinks) with out a 'FollowSymlink' option in the <Directory /mydir> directive where the symlink resides, in the config file for the site.

eg.
    <Directory /www>
    Options FollowSymLinks
    </Directory>

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier