Thread: SUSE 9.3 monitor problem

SUSE 9.3 monitor problem

Hello all,

A while back, I installed SUSE 9.3 on an extra box, because I had the extra box to do so......

I wasnt living at home at the time, and the monitor i used to install it was ANCIENT (this thing had to be 3' x 3' and weighed 70 pounds).......Newayz, the monitor was old, and when I installed *nix, everything worked just fine....
    then, i moved, and tried to run my *nix box using a diferent monitor, and POOF.....

when I boot up, after the bios and OS selection screens, it says its loading hardware, and then loading devices, and then as soon as begins to switch to the login screen for SUSE, my monitor shuts off for a second, and then says "video mode not supported".

I am able to run a command line enviornment, but I cannot run a GUI enviornment...

so my question, how do I get my monitor to function properly in the GUI ?

note, ive tried several monitors and all end up with the same, or similar, problems (some just go to the yellow LED, as if its getting no signal, and others say 'video mode not supported'). Unfortunatly, the ancient large monitor has since been trashed, and using it is not an option.....also, i have very little *nix knowledge, so be tender with me ;-)

your help is greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

-z3

Maybe because you have X cnofigured for an old monitor and now you're using a different one? log in as root. Type this:

sax2

Hit Enter. Configure the new one.

Gore,

first off, thanks for the suggestion...

login as root....type "sax2"......

it says "SaX initializing please wait...
    including [driver:0] profile : Depth24
    sax: startup"

and then the monitor shuts off, and then "Video mode Not Supported" once again

........now what? :-)

Hmmm, /etc... It's a directory on the machine... And wow I don't think I've ever seen a monitor switch go down like that....

anyway, /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Be careful, you seem new, it'll probably screw up, but now you gain valueable experience. If you have anything on the box you want to save you could just save it to a back up and reinstall of course which would be easy option #1.

You can fix X by hand like I said, but it will take some looking around.

Hi Gore,

Like i said, I had the extra box to install SuSe, so thankfully theres nothing there.....period....

I'm at work, but i'll try that as soon as I get home...and yes, every bit is experience that may come in handy someday......when im an ub3r 1337 h4x0r ;-)

.......or when my next *nix box decides to be non-monitor friendly....

again, thanks....I'll let you know how it goes....

also, i found this site while searching @ work today....if the last suggestion you gave me is of no help (or if I get too lost hehee) i'll give them a hollar too.....

Or, i might just re-install SuSe with the new monitor already attached........like I said, theres nothign there to lose...of course, theres no knowledge to be gained that route, so thats a last option....

just in case you didn't already know, you're going to need a text editor such as vi or pico to edit xorg.conf, so type pico or vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf and make sure your monitor can support depths at 24, if not put 16 in place of 24, and even 8 if that doesn't work. also, make sure your monitor can handle the resolution set in xorg.conf, if its 1024x768 or whatever, and still not working, try 800x600.. anyway im drunk peace

Originally posted here by gore

anyway, /etc/X11/xorg.conf

I type in "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" and it comes back saying "-bash: /etc/X11/xorg.conf: Permission denied"

i tried looking around a bit, but no luck.....

yes, I am logged in as root, and not a general user....however, in order to get to the command line enviornment, I have to boot in "Suse Failsafe mode".....

are there limited permissions in this mode, even as root user?

Wow..... OK ummmm, see if you can boot without safemode, OR, grab the installation disk and try the recovery console. I've never had to boot into safe mode but I do believe it would prevent what you were attempting as you said it did.

okay, the only way I can boot into command line is via safemode...

so, is there a way to switch into normal command line mode while in safe command line mode?

im gonna try the recovery.....who knows....i bought Suse 9.3 @ borders while getting the "Suse 9.3 for dummies" (yea yea, laugh your head off ;-) ...)

ill try recovery through the DVD...

alright, alright.....

I decided to chicken out and just re-install everything via dvd.......

hopefully, I should be able to function w/ my current monitor (im going to throw it out the window...if i had any.....if this doesnt work....)

thanks again for your time and effort...i'll let you know how the fresh install does...