Thread: Web Server Download Problem.

Web Server Download Problem.

I didn't see anything else related to this so forgive me if this has been covered...I've tried google, but to no avail

I just got a new windows server 2003 install up and running at a datacenter....was wanting to test out the speeds on it, so I put a file in the wwwroot directory, then RDC'd into a second server to open up multiple downloads to the same file.

however, I can only get maximum of 2 downloads...once one finishes or I cancel it then I get the prompt to download the 3'rd download.

In other words, I want to be able to open as many downloads as I want, but I can only open 2 downloads at a time....I tried installing apache on port 8080, and downloading between Apaceh and IIS, but same thing, I can do 1 download from Apache and 1 from IIS, or just 2 from apache, but no more.

is there a setting somewhere that lets me allow more simultaneous downloads? I've looked all in the properties page for the IIS site, and looked up and down the httpd.conf for apache.

IIS is 6.0
    Apache is 2.20

thanks
    =

It's a web client limitation. It's built into the client application and is completely deliberate, and is a feature not a bug.

The W3C recommend that a web client application creates no more than two connections to a given server at once- and common web browsers (e.g. Firefox, MSIE) stick to that limit. This means you can't have more than two downloads at once per site. This makes sense anyway, as more downloads at once would probably be counter-productive (there is only finite bandwidth, after all).

Slarty

Is this what you are looking for?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/183110/

I have seen this before on webpages

SUMMARY
    WinInet limits the number of simultaneous connections that it makes to a single HTTP server. If you exceed this limit, the requests block until one of the current connections has completed. This is by design and is in agreement with the HTTP specification and industry standards.
    edit: and it appears Slarty has explained why
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

well I kinda feel stupid now

Thanks guys...learned something new
    =