Hello.

I work as an Information Systems Engineer currently holding my JNCIA, CCNA, and NET+ certifications. The topic of network/computer forensics and cyber security greatly interest me, to the point where I consistantly shadow our Network Management Center when troubleshooting and doing penetration testing (even though its not my job).

I'm at the point now where engineering networks is getting boring and drab to me, and my attention is really caught by the science behind the technologies as well as the forensics involved in determining flaws and vulnerabilities.

So that being said, I am looking for some suggestions as to steps to take to begin my career in security. I am also reading over tutorials and and posts on this subject posted on AO. I already have an intermediate knowledge of networking, routing protocols, TCP/IP, etc...Here is what I am going to try and gain knowledge in which will hopefully put me on the right track:

-Deep knowledge of operating systems, MS and Unix/Linux
-Programming/Computer Science, which includes Perl, Assembler, C/C++
-Sniffers, how to identify and decode certain packets, how to identify potential threats
-Additional information in network administration, secure design and planning

And I suppose I should also learn tricks that hackers use to gain access, since thinking like a hacker will help you stay a step ahead in prevention.

Can anyone provide suggestions, add ons, resources. I will be googling and reading AO as I get time at nights after work.

Thanks
EOF