Thread: Reliabilty of Faronics' deepfreeze?

Reliabilty of Faronics' deepfreeze?

Greetings all,

I am working for a software dev company. We develop kiosk software for internet terminals.
    We use deep freeze as a protective measure against file delections,trojan installs and even as a virus protector. I was wondering about the reliabilty of it and perhaps some in-depth detail on how it works. Our software insn't meant to provide internet security. We just attempt a local system lockdown while at the same time delivering a method to charge for printing,faxing and web-browsing. Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance,
    Larry

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    I believe they provide a nice white paper on their support page which details the specifics of operation.

I've used it in the past and for the most part, it keeps the gremlins in line.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

DeepFreeze is an AMAZING product. The entire school distric here has been using it for many, many years. As far as what DF does, there is nothing better! I no longer work for the school district, but they have no problems with it at all. Just do not forget to disable boot to floppy if the computer you are talking about has a floppy drive or it is accessible.

Here is somethig I typed up a long while ago:

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=126451

People are still trying to bypass it. Check this out Here

Thanks everyone.
    The posted links were quite useful!

just to give you some extra input on deepfreeze -- we use it in our labs and we have started to notice some weird network problems. The only thing that changed is that we deployed deepfreeze.

here are the details:
    cisco switch
    Marvel Yukon nic autoneg pulling 100fd
    deepfreeze
    windows xp joined to an AD 2003 domain

here are the symptoms
    When viewing the switch the computers with deepfreeze keep flipping back and forth from connected to unconnected. when we disable deepfreeze, this behavior stops.

Just FYI (in case you have the same nic's in your environment) we are currently working with faronics to see if they can offer some sort of patch.
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM