Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Hacktivists' offer stealth web

Originally posted here by netRealm
    Looks to me like this is just using TOR for web browsing, rolled into an easy to use package.
    well, with a name like Torpark, i can immagine why it seems that way ;-)

firefox + Tor = Torpark.....or thats what I gathered from the articles Ive read....

This has made me curious. I installed Tor on my Debian box and
    tested it. Some sites say I have no proxy, but do not detect my
    correct ip address. others detect a proxy, dang shieldsup
    nails me. He gets my correct ip address! People badmouth the guy
    but he must be doing something right.

Wait! stop the presses. I beat him, or myself. I needed to set my
    ssl proxy setting in addition to http. All is well. He thinks I do not
    have a proxy after all.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Some sites say I have no proxy, but do not detect my correct ip address. others detect a proxy, dang shieldsup nails me. He gets my correct ip address!
    That's interesting. I tried Torpark again on GRC's ShieldsUp and got altogether different results from my first go-round. ShieldsUp did indeed detect the proxies (8.7.49.235 and 81.169.178.235). I rolled into the second one by the time I went past the first message about 'no reverse dns' (see attached .jpg). But ShieldsUp did not nail my ip addy. Gibson's using some kind of connection to SSL to bypass proxies (when he can).

I did a quick whois on the proxies. The first one belongs to Level3, which is a "backbone" outfit for the internet and works closely with the gov't (as with any utility company -- so don't get too paranoid). I'm reminded that Tor uses onion routing, a project that began with the Navy. The second one is registered in Germany (home to a few of Tor's proxies apparently), but located in Saudi Arabia according to dnsstuff.com.

He-heh, I'm still able to login to Yahoo mail, something I was typically unable to do using anonymous offshore proxies back in the day.

Hmmm, not all proxies are created equal. Makes me wonder what all they're logging, too.

edit -- Torpark's now says it's connected via 85.14.217.51 (dnsstuff.com puts that one in Germany) but ShieldsUp scans 149.9.0.56 (a Cogent box in D.C.!). Oops, Torpark now is connected to the 149.xx.xx.xx proxy. Must be part of the rollover thru the proxy chain.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers