Thread: Having some problem with my RAM!!

Having some problem with my RAM!!

Hai friends,

I am SumesH PauL here, call me paul. I just have a simple question. I am using Intel board with intel D processor. The processor speed is 2.66 Ghz.

What my real problem is like, I have 256 mb of RAM, but the clock speed is 266, but the intel dual processor supports only 300 to 400 clock speed RAM. I have installed the 266 clock speed RAM and nothing special is happening in my system.
    1. Does this cause any damage to my system?
    2. Do I have to replace my RAM with a higher clock speed RAM?

Yesterday when I opened 2 to 3 applications simultaneously, it said like low virtual memory.
    3. Do virtual memory have any role with the RAM functioning?
    4. I know that nowadays we can get RAM in much cheaper rate, but since I am having a 256 mb of RAM, do I have to replace that with a newer one?

Please help me with these question.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    SumesH PauL

No, it will not hurt your computer.

It would be advisable to get at least 512MB of ram at a higher clock rate. Especially with windows XP being somewhat of a resource hog. I actually prefer to run with 1GB of ram in my XP machines, but 512MB should be good.

Virtual memory is space set aside on your hard drive by windows for when you run out of actual physical ram. You can increase your Virtual Ram by

Right CLick My COmputer -> Properties -> Advanced -> Click Settings under Preformance Options -> Hit the advanced tab, then select change at the bottom by Virtual Memory settings.

There you can set the amount of Virtual ram that your computer will use.

I recommend setting to at leat 768MB
    =

Hi Paul,

And welcome to AO

I would agree with cheyenne1212 on this.

1. It won't hurt your computer.
    2. You should have at least 512Mb for multitasking in Windows XP.
    3. There is no point in using a fast processor and slow RAM.
    4. There is no point in having a fast FSB and using a slow RAM or processor.
    5. In the meantime, increase your virtual memory manually.

There is NO "magic formula" for virtual memory. Windows tends to set it to 1.5x your physical memory (RAM), but, with a system that has very little physical RAM, this will not be enough.

You really need to go and buy the fastest RAM that your Processor and Motherboard support.

my 2 cents

having any 2.66 GHz processor and only 256MB or RAM is equivalent of running at full speed w/ plastic bag over your head.

I bought 2 sticks of 512 although I only have P3 @ 1GHz
    /dev/humor: not found

Thank You friends........

Let me start with a "hai"

Thank you friends for letting me know more about virtual memory and the the defects of having a very low clock speed RAM. Thank you one and all. When started a thread, I never felt that someone will answer my questions, but you guys, am really proud.. I was waiting for, I think, 2 days for getting an answer, but I never got one and hence felt very depressed, but now that I know, like my questions will also be answered.

Am posting my some other doubts, but that is not related to this, please do also help me with that. I believe that I will get some consideration for this tooo..

Thank you friends over there.

Regards,

Sumesh Paul.

Hi Paul,

You are welcome. Please remember that you are using a seriously under-resourced machine and that you can expect applications and other performance issues until you resolve this.

Also, don't forget you are 4.5 or 5.5 hours ahead of me and a further 5 or more hours ahead of my American colleagues, so time zones will affect when you get replies

very_unhappy

having any 2.66 GHz processor and only 256MB or RAM is equivalent of running at full speed w/ plastic bag over your head.

I will remember that one for future use

EDIT: Moved to "hardware"