Thread: The problems I face after installing some of the trial version softwares....

Smile The problems I face after installing some of the trial version softwares....

Some problems that I face after installing some of the trial version softwares....

Problem(s) goes like this.....

1. Recently I had installed a software called LogMeIn and why I installed that software was because I wanted to share some files with my friends, say some ppt files or rather some words files and even games, I think that is all about sharing files from my hard disk, not i think, but it is all about sharing files. So from the day of LogMeIn installation, am facing some problems with the stability of internet connection. Often while trying to disconnect the connection the entire processes stops (the processes runnig at that time) and i am unable to disconnect to the internet. This is of course a very big problem.

2. I have also installed ZoneAlarm Pro and Quick Heal, both are trial versions. Do they cause any problems (trial version)?? Does that make some malfunctioning of programs?

3. Since the ZoneAlarm and quick heal starts up simultaneously with the system logging in, the entire thing (start up process) takes place in a very slow pace, can I do something for that?

4. Regarding installation of ZoneAlarm and logging on to gmail: After installation of ZoneAlarm when I tried to log on to gmail, it was just keeping on loading and the URL was keeping on rotating, like it is not getting a stand in my system. I dont know what is happening. Can you guys help me with this. Is it because, the ZoneAlarm disables the cookiees, I know that the entire google is related with cookiees, so how can I change the ZoneAlarm settings, and of course the ZoneAlarm is a trial version and it will expire after 10 days, so do I have to make some changes or just uninstall for logging on to gmail? (I dont have a good antivirus with me right now) When I searched in google, I found Quick Heal and hence installed it. Any suggestions regarding quick heal?

5. Apart from the LogMeIn software, how can I make my system act like a server for my friends to have some files from my computer? Is there any good softwares present to make my system act like a server?

I forgot to mention one imp thing,

I tried to configure Apache server in my system and what I what I really want to know is, after configuring, does my system act like a server for my friends?

Please do help me with my doubts, I dont know wheter I have asked some foolish questions. If so, I do regret for what I have mentioned above.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Sumesh Paul.

Paul,

You must resolve your hardware issue first. You are running Windows XP with only 256Mb of RAM. I would suggest that you need at least 512Mb of the fastest RAM your system will support, and preferably 1GB.

Also, manually set your virtual memory to 1024Mb until you increase the physical RAM.

LogMeIn is a remote management tool. I wonder if this is what you really want to do? It needs to be set up with a controlling computer and controlled ones. File sharing is not possible with the free version.

Your firewall will need to be set up to allow it, and it will want server rights etc.

At this point, however, I suspect that your major problem is you are running a machine that does not have sufficient resources for all the applications.

To test this, disconnect from the internet and turn off LogMeIn, Zone Alarm and Quick Heal. You should notice a marked improvement in performance. Then start Zone Alarm and let it load. Then Quick Heal, then go on the internet again.

Don't forget that you can use the Windows Pewrformance Monitor to see what is happening to your resources whilst you are doing this

Hi Nihil,

Of course I will resolve the RAM problems within 2 days from now, but apart from that am having some problems connecting to internet. As you said before, {LogMeIn is a remote management tool. I wonder if this is what you really want to do? It needs to be set up with a controlling computer and controlled ones. File sharing is not possible with the free version.} But I can very well share my files with my friends using this freeware.

Please tell me how to use the windows performance monitor!! Am not aware of that... From where will we take that utility.

Thank you in advance for lettinng me know about windows performance monitor.

Regards,
    Sumesh Paul.

Hi Paul,

In Windows 2000 and XP you hit the "Ctrl" + "Alt" + "Delete" keys at the same time. That brings up a "Windows Security" menu.

The middle bottom radio button is labelled "Task Manager".................. click on that, and select the "Performance" tab

I think I understand you now, when you say "sharing" you mean using at the same time. I thought you meant transferring files For collaboration tasks I have generally used Microsoft's NetMeeting............ you might like to take a look at that?

Hi Nihil,

No Nihil I really meant sharing of files. You were talking about task manger, I thought it is something else. When you said, performance monitor, I felt like there is some thing else in XP for monitoring the performance of the each and every processes. Misunderstanding (from my side). Nihil you are very kind for letting me know about that and answering to my thread. How can I vote for you. Am a total newbie in this site (I do really wanna vote for you because nobody else is having some time to spare with me and I do very well know that. What I think at this right moment is that am not putting my questions in a right manner, if that is a concern please let me know friends). I have seen many threads in which you have actively participated. Am very much want to be like you, so before that I want to have a complete knowledege of this world wide web, so can you help me with this. I want to read some books related this, so from where will I get start.

I know that you will be wondering of how I started and now where I am and this is why because I want to learn things in a much fast pace. Now, at this very right moment, I want an advice of someone who is matured in this field and I think you are one of them.

One more thing that I want to know is whether my "thread title" is too large enough for others have a look at?? I have read many threads of how a newbie should put our queries and I am very much taking care of each and every point mentioned in there. If no please let me know. I very well like to have a feedback of mine and very eager to know how to become a good AO member.

Once again, thank you very much for letting me have a good introduction.

Regards,

Sumesh Paul.