Thread: How to know wether or not a site is trustworthy?

How to know wether or not a site is trustworthy?

Cheerio!

I was wondering how do you know wether you can trust the contents of a site and when not. For example I want to perform a registry scan from this site: http://www.liutilities.com/products/...r/dllfiles/rb/
    because i'm getting delayloadfailurehook error all the time. But i'm not sure what it does so maybe it doens't do good at all.

Are there any specific things I have to pay attention for when trying to find out wether or not you can trust a site?

Thanks!
    Got it Memorized?

You can't really. General impression of the site mainly.......also the content......like if it has cracks and "warez" on it?

You might try this: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/eusingregistry.html

"snapfiles" is pretty well known like tucows, major geeks and so on

It is a freeware registry cleaner and I have used it successfully on Win XP. It is supposed to work with Win 98 onwards.

I am very wary of these "online scans" from people who are trying to sell you something (unless they are a major player like PC-Cillin, Panda, AVG etc) as I feel that they will find things just to get you to buy their product?

First of all thank you for your help,

I did a registry scan with the tool you suggested and it came up with 1692 errors (I didn't even know they were so much things in the registry) It also rearranged my program list it's now alfabatic
    Then I did a scan again, and this time I ended up with 28 errors (can you explain this since there shouldn't be any errors anymore after repairing it)
    After that i performed another scan, which gave me 9 errors and every scan following that scan also gives me 9 errors.

Anyway, i still can't open program's such a paint because of the: "Missing export Kernel32.dll delayloadfailurehook"
    I sort of found what it is but I still find it odd that this has never happend before to paint. "sob"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...=rss&spid=3198
    Here it says how to work arround it but I don't really get so i'm going to do a bit more "googling" Maybe you have any tips to solve it?

Thanks again!
    Got it Memorized?

Hi Unimatrix 2

Are you using Win 98?...if you have the original cd, I would just back up all of your personal files and re-install, once you have a corrupted registry in Win 98 a re-install is usually the best way to fix it.

Guide for reinstall
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Greeting's

You can scan your computer online at safety.live.com it includes both Virus scan and also a registry scanner.. Remove everything it finds.. Its a good bet to make a system restore before you do this.. As far as Liutilites.. I don't like them much.. Personally I don't like cleaning my registry unless I know what I'm doing.. Don't just clean anything that is detected as a problem.

For your pain problem you might want to use the "SFC" command. Use it only after you read this :
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;310747

This is just for knowledge
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;222193
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

Dalek's answer is the final resort. First I would try the SFC utility that ships with Win98

Some advice here: http://www.techadvice.com/w98/M/mfc42_dll.htm

I am sure it is the dreaded MFC42.dll problem

By the way.............. don't worry about the number of Registry "errors" you got. Most of them will just be remnants of things that didn't tidy up after themselves.

Yes, you tend to need to run these tools more than once in case there are any dependencies

You might just try running it in safe mode as well, but this won't solve your MFC42.dll issue.

Thanks for the answers,

@Dalek: Yes I have win89, And i have re-installed windows before because i had accidently deleted my screen colours . and nothing dissapeard back then, or do you mean that i have to reformat everything?
    That will be a real pain, cause my pc doesn't have a burner so i have to transfer file by file with my memory stick .

@Nihil and BytTeWrangler
    I think i'm going to try SFC command but you said this:
    Use it only after you read this
    So i still end up making a backup right?

Thank you all again, this helps me a lot
    Got it Memorized?

On this most auspicious of nights.... I finally found out how to repair my DelayLoadFailureHook.
    So I though if anyone else ever encounters this problem here is the answer:

Run SFC as suggest above, and in lieu of letting it search all your files just type "MFC42.DLL" in the one file transfer thing, put in your win cd and then it should be repaired, actually very easy when you think about it.
    (I'm so happy now I can use paint again )
    Got it Memorized?

I was wondering how do you know wether you can trust the contents of a site and when not.
    Do a whois on the site. DNSstuff.com is great site for that. LIUtilities is out of northern Virginia, so they're probably not the worst of the worst. You want to see what the bad guys look like on a whois, search for spyfalcon.com. They're registered in Olongapo City, somewhere in the Philipines.

The other thing you need to do is verify claims a company may make on their site. Registry Booster claims a five-star rating from download.com. Checking the that site, the the app gets a rating of 3, not 5.

Caveat emptor. FWIW, CCleaner has a nice reg cleaner.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers