Thread: Buffer Overflow?

Buffer Overflow?

Hey, I was hoping that you all could help me with a problem?

I have desktop pc with Windows XP on it for a year and all was fine. Recently, when it started acting slower, and less effiecient with the memory. I figured that it was probably some spyware or a virus. I did a couple of sweeps and low and behold it was a trojan. I quarantined then deleted the virus, thinking that the problem would be solved. Well a short time later, I started recieveing messages about low virtual memory, and then as I was checkning the C:\ folder of my computer I realized that there was only 5.99 GB of memory total! This is out of 55 GB that it had when I bought it some time earlier. I re-formatted my C:\ drive, thinking that may solve the problem. It did'nt. Upon closer inspection I realized that there was a buffer overflow. Now I am wondering can it be fixed manually, and if so what hardware should be bought? And to top it all off I am still not sure if the buffer overflow was the real problem. Maybe the virus? I am kinda stupped.

Any advice on how to deal with this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Hmmm,

I am not sure of what you are saying here?

1. You have a 55Gb hard drive? How many partitions are there, how large are they, and how much used/free space in each partition?

If you got to 10% freespace as you suggested, then I am not surprised that you were having problems..............I personally don't like running with less than 20% freespace

If you reformatted and reinstalled your OS that should have fixed the problem, unless you have some very big files kicking around? Did you do a clean install?

2. What are the symptoms of your current problems?

3. Take a look at your restore points. I would guess that anything before you got rid of the virus is either untrustworthy or too old to be of much use?

In resonse to nihil, I had one partition, I am not how much space I had left mb wise, and when I did reformat I totally deleted everything and I put in the sp2. As far as deletion of files is concerned I deleted everything and overwrote the partition. Symptom wise, there are none, and it dosen't state anything suspicious such as alerts.

Hi,

So it was a clean install. What is your drive shown as in the BIOS and in Windows?

What is shown as utilised and free?

What makes you think that it is a "buffer overflow"?

I am still curious as to what you perceive your current problem to be