Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newbies-creating strong passwords.

newbies-creating strong passwords.

For newbies like me, lazy peoples and security obsessed persons, here is an easy way to create a really strong password.

http://www.makepassword.com/

how 'bout a 29 characters long password with uppercases and numbers.

D0Yenon0KiesR1Yierbl0Miumah3T
    Hindsight is an exact science.
    MudBubble

And remember tht how ? hahah I can make a password like that myself...

1Vfg2655Jlkoifo98vb28vnHdnmaI
    O.G at A.O

Elite Hacker
    Originally posted here by ©opy®ight
    And remember tht how ? hahah I can make a password like that myself...

1Vfg2655Jlkoifo98vb28vnHdnmaI
    Where's the special chars?

/me cracks your password.

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    nice site chizra. Easy to use, simple interface. Just something about on-line password generators always skeeved me.
    I don't know when I hit that "Make Password" button, that somewhere...my newly generated password plus my IP address aren't stored in some database. I think I'm being a bit over-analytical here (I admit it) when I say, I simply don't trust any online password generator.
    If I'm stupid enough to not secure my system, this person now has my IP address, along with whatever other information my browser sent to their server, and a possible password I may use on my system for personal/sensative/financial etc. documents. It's just me, but I don't like it.
    Anyways, it's still a cool site and I think I'm just being anal. good job.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Dead Man Walking
    I gotta go with shag on this one. Not to mention for the average n00b or even "guru" nobody is going to remeber that hellacious thing. Alot of windows based stuff doesnt even support passwords that long AFAIK. The kind of data a password like that is designed to protect some n00b isnt going to have acsess too. The only thing the target of this post is going to do is piss off thier IT guy by constantly asking for thier password to be reset

This site looks like it pulls words from the dictionary then replaces one or two...not really the greatest, not to mention that uppercase and numbers should be checked by default. Wheres the option for special characters?

And personally, if you're using passwords that long then you are going to find out the hardway about social engineering, because that little yellow sticky under your keyboard isnt quite as hidden as you think. Also...if you're calling me to reset your password several times a month, let alone several times a week, you're REALLY going to be pissing your badass IT manager off..

edit: ok seriously, i looked at a few of the words. Take noplium for example. EVERY letter is on the right side of the keyboard...Strong? not hardly. They're not all that bad, but alot of them have 2-3 letters on one side, then one on the other, then 2-3 back on the original side, not good.
    I have my CCNA and i'm currently working towards my CCNP and CSSP.

Actually, there is a nice, tidy, and 'secure' C# progam (code) hanging out here . I have found this to be fast and effective.

Plus, you wrap the 'meat' up in a list fed array and wallah, you have new passwords for n number of systems/users.

Quite handy if the mundane task of changing passwords should ever happen to cross your desk.
    Civilization. The death of dreams.

Originally posted here by ShagDevil
    nice site chizra. Easy to use, simple interface. Just something about on-line password generators always skeeved me.
    I don't know when I hit that "Make Password" button, that somewhere...my newly generated password plus my IP address aren't stored in some database. I think I'm being a bit over-analytical here (I admit it) when I say, I simply don't trust any online password generator.
    I have to agree...while the site may seem nifty and legit, who is to say that it isnt just another 'scam' of sorts....

and as stated, its easy to make some gibberish password.....the question is, will you remember it w/o tattooing it to the back of your hand?

Too hard to remember for us that might have gray moments. so I prefer abreviating phrases with characters, upper and lower cases and so on.........

Oh! You ate a two pound bee, I see

O!u8a2#b,Ic

or something like:

4u&Ir2b1nAc!

Be creative with all the characters and single letters representing a whole word, etc. (next to a case of Foster's, this will help keep your admin happier )

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

Too hard to remember for us that might have gray moments. so I prefer abreviating phrases with characters, upper and lower cases and so on.........
    It really does come down to whatever really works for you. Each person has their own methods. The phrases seem to be the most popular.

I worked with an elderly sys admin deity who had memorized entire verses of poetry and would create personal passwords from them in the same manner in which you do with phrases. It just seemed somewhat phenominal that someone could actually remember a 20+ character password including special characters...

So, once again, it comes down to whatever it is that works for you. Just be sure to follow the best practices set forth in the industry. And remember, even if you give your users obscure passwords, they will memorize them after a week or two of having to type them in 5+ times a day. That's just how a brain works. Truly amazing
    Civilization. The death of dreams.