Thread: tracing voice over ip- urgent

Question tracing voice over ip- urgent

How can I trace a telephone number that is VoIP back to an ip/provider?
    Can I trace an 800 number and exchange back to a provider?

I know that the PBX is Asterisk. (default prompts and scripts)

Someone setup a PBX and recorded messages that sound just like my business'.
    They don't have any valid entries. All options/extensions go to the same person.
    An * will get me to a password prompt, but looks like any default passwords have been changed.

This was setup for fraud.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Hi Pish, have you contacted your telco and advised them. They should be able to give you some advice on how to handle the situation.

Cheers:
    DjM

Hi phish~

You might try contacting the FEDs, as I know that they have been funding research into this problem.

Incidentally, this might be of interest: http://www.scamfraudalert.com/showthread.php?p=6526

We have called the telco. They are trying to trace it but have been unable to so far. I suspect because its an out of the country VoIP provider. I suspect Canada due to other factors. But, who knows for sure.

We have called local/state/federal authorities. They have our info but probably won't do much about it because we have yet to take a loss. We have called various other agencies to send out alerts to various financial institutions.

Most people were caught up in this by a popup they got on the internet. Shop at home and make money fast scheme... you know the type.

I'm just trying to see what I can find out about this scheme. So far, it looks like someone setup a VoIP box using Astrisk. They copied the layout of our real phone system. However, all options go to the "operator" or scammer.

edited: didn't want too much info out about this. not really my place to do so
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I guess I am missing some information, or am just not following along. How are they getting the checks to begin with?

Originally posted here by Net2Infinity
    I guess I am missing some information, or am just not following along. How are they getting the checks to begin with?
    I'm not exactly sure. I only have little peices of info. I wasn't told everything. I just found out the phone number and decided to look into it. I'm just trying to find out how to trace the VoIP calls for how to match the phone number to a provider.

A reverse lookup gives me nothing. I can't find a listing of 800 (xxx) exchange to map it to a provider.

Net2: You changed your avatar. I kind of liked it.

edited: didn't want too much info out about this. not really my place to do so

I worked for a phone company for a period of time in the translations department and I can tell you that your phone company can trace it. All phone numbers have to be routed to their proper location so they have to be able to tell you what switch they route that NNI to. However, unless something major is going on they wont take the time to do so.

I see. Well, we do have the authorities involoved... so they'll be able to influence them more than me. However, there have been no losses so far... so I'm sure it's low priority. I doubt that I'll be able to do anything... and I wasn't asked to. This specific subject is just new to me and has sparked my interest so I figured I'd see what I could find out.

Here's a little more info for you phish:

The Phone is the Latest Phishing Rod

Goodie, like we don't have enough to deal with.

Cheers:
    DjM