Thread: Need Help About HD jumper Setting

Need Help About HD jumper Setting

hi,

Can Any one Help about Harddisk Jumper Settings, I am Doing the Hardware Course from Institute But I Have One Question That not resolved by my Teacher Also.

I saw one Hard disk Which has Set the Jumper Setting, In jumper Setting we Have Slave and Master jumper but At That Setting One is Verticle And another is Horizontaly set if any one knows about this so please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanx
    D3V!L

Well it depends on the brand of the HDD..

But it is that some use various physical combinations.. this can be Maxtors older hard drives.. that with out the config guide were just plain confusing..
    so basiclly.. it is the same as you familure.. just done differently..
    Remember you also have Cable select in your combination as well
    So the lineup should be: Master - Slave - CS (Cable Select)

BUT.. in some the Horizontal is a blank or no connection.. in other words a nice way of keeping the jumpers in a safe place..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

ok

thanx Und3ertak3r for giving me the solution of my topic

Thanx
    D3V!L

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    The HD manufacturers usually have product sheets that you can view online concerning jumper placements.

The HD jumpers I hate are the ID number jumpers for SCSI drives. One of our systems had the jumpers feeding 6 individual wires to a thumbwheel switch. A fellow technician removed a drive with out marking the wires or location. There are 720 permutations of how six wires can be connected to 6 pins.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

I think Undies~ has it?

BUT.. in some the Horizontal is a blank or no connection.. in other words a nice way of keeping the jumpers in a safe place..
    With some of the older drives there were more options as I recall............I am talking 52Mb to 512Mb drives here

The sideways position I have only seen as being "blank" which was for a drive that was the master and ONLY drive on the system. There were other settings for master in a master slave situation and so on. I have even got some that have two jumpers. You used the sideways setting to keep the redundant one safe.

EDIT: Just had a "flashback"..................this was a source of problems back then. Western Digital used to use this sideways setting for "single", as in one drive that is the master by definition. Their drives shipped for a while with this as the default. Everyone else tended to use cable select. If you just installed the WD drive in a system that was cable select, it would not work.

Something along those lines anyways..............I havent seen the problem for years now