Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Safe mode- screen to small?

Hi,

A-Squared is actually a pop-up window menu.

If you can see the blue title bar where it says "a-squared free 2.0" then just put your mouse pointer on it, left click, and hold the mouse button down.

You will then be able to move the whole window to where you can get at the "scan now" button.

I can't believe nobody said the simplest solution the first time to move the window, almost all programs are movable.....
    O.G at A.O

Hi ©opy®ight ,

That is why I asked what he was running. Most AVs seem to resize themselves for 640x480 but some scanning tools do not. Naturally it is reasonable to assume that people will want to scan in safe mode so there has to be a way

Looking at stuff that I use, CrapCleaner and SpyBot S&D resize themselves whereas ewido, a-squared and AdAware can be moved.

Just in case anyone else is having this sort of problem

BANNED
    i'm on my cell-phone so y'all are just going to have to deal with my lack of capitalisation.
    i looked on the a-Squared support forums and it seems that as of august 29th they know there is an issue with 98/ me. i'm not posting the link becausa i don't know how to cut and paste on this thing yet >.<
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

Hi muert0 IIRC the problem with 98/ME is a shell extension thingy that causes it to crash?

Incidentally, if you go to the emsisoft site you will find that there is a command line version available as well, so you don't need the GUI

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    with safe mode your stuck wit h640 X 480 reselution...try hitting enter
    Not true. At least on our test machines/floaters at work when you load into 'safe mode' it allows you to adjust the display settings (aka screen resolution) you can adjust the 'screen resolutions'.

Hi Computernerd22,

I think this goes back to the mid-nineties?. MS were developing their operating systems along two separate routes................the Windows 95 for home and Windows NT 4.0 for business.

When you booted a standard NT 4.0 installation it first prompted you if you wanted SVGA or VGA................ so a video troubleshooting mode was built in. Windows 95, on the other hand, just took you to your previous settings, or 640x480 in safe mode, and that was it. I guess that the home OS was designed to give helpdesk people a level playing field?

So, AFAIK, Windows 95/98/98SE and ME only give you 640x480 in safe mode, but you can alter the video settings in NT 4.0, NT 5.0 (2000) and XP.

That is why I asked the OP what he was running

As you work for a major manufacturer, perhaps you could do me a favour and ask around to see if I am correct in my assumptions?

Cheers,

Johnno

Hey,

Thank you all for trying to help, although what Nihil said isn't working either. I can't click on the most upper layer of the pop-up so it doesn't move. And hitting enter in combination with other things didn't work either .
    However when i was in safe mode, i saw there was only 1 process, so I went back to normal mode, and then I did ctrl-alt-del on all processes except for the one running in safe mode, and also I stopped all the programs next to the clock. Then I did a scan again, and it didn't got stuck this time .

But once again thank you all for helping

Cheerio!
    Got it Memorized?

I can almost bet its do to the antispyware app hanging on a file thats in use. Adaware gets this with dll files that are launched under winlogon, etc.
    meh. -ech0.

The other thing to try is to start the system in regular mode and make the window for that particular application smaller. Many applications remember the window settings from the last time that they were closed. If you can make the window smaller, it may fit.

Also try to hit the minimize button, and then maximize it again, that may correct the issue. Neither one of these will work if the application is hard coded to open in a window that is larger than your screen resolution than that is just crappy coding and I would try a different tool.