DarkStar Linux.

Thread: DarkStar Linux.

Banned

DarkStar Linux.

Howdy.

Well i've been browsing distro watch and i came across an interesting linux os DarkStar Linux:
    http://www.darkstarlinux.ro

DARKSTAR Linux is a GNU/Linux distribution, especially conceived for a desktop usage mainly for those who do not have prior experience into using a Linux OS and is easy to install, configure, use and offers a friendly environment, gamming and multimedia oriented.
    just curious as to know if anyone has used this os before, and what they thought off it? Any issues is it stable etc etc.

Pretty much just curious as to know if anyone here has used it before and if it's worth the download to try it out..

cheers
    acidtone..

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I thought Ubuntu held that 'easy to use' title ?

although THAT is Debian based
    yet another OS I have never heard of
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Banned
    Well i downloaded it.

Let's just say i am one unhappy camper at the moment.

1* it loaded up fine.
    2* Hmm it didn't detect my mouse, no problem restart unplug the mouse plug in a different one. Didn't like that one either..
    3*Install instructions are easy to understand simple etc etc.
    4* chose how i wanted it setup.

hda1= windows XP on it's own drive 80Gb
    hdb1=suse 10.1
    hdb2=swap
    hdb3=DarkStar Partition
    hdb4=swap

basically wanted to install it on the remainder of free space on the 2nd hard drive in the spare partitions i had after deleting gentoo a while back.

Ok it seemed to accept the setup that i had chosen, no errors so far so good.

clicked the ok and started the install. Installed rather quickly considering it's a 2 disc setup, {5minutes if that}
    ok it gave me a prompt installation was succesful press ok to restart.

Now this is where things have gone bad.

Restarted system it goes past the BIOS screen, and what is awaiting me error no 0s installed.

i think hmm probably just the bootloader has shat it's self, slap in the windows XP install disc and restart.

let it load up chose the R option to do a fixmbr another suprise. there is no winxp to repair, it's been deleted.

ok then now i'm starting to panic, type exit, and restart slap in the suse 10.1 dvd it loads up and it just gives me the option to install. again..

so anyhow i've pulled the drives from the machine, installed them into another system slaved and that's right folks it seems the instructions that i gave during setup were ignored...

so now i'm googling for hard drive recovery programs as i need to recover the winXP partition because of important data..
    And before you say it yes i know i should of backed up etc, but i don't have a spare drive lying around that could hold 200Gb of data..

anyhow i feel really shiat now, gonna get some more coffee and see what happens..

H'm.. that sucks as^Hlot man !!

Seems like a weird distro what I've seen on their pages..
    And also user-friendly and alpha don't mix
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

that's right folks it seems the instructions that i gave during setup were ignored...
    That's not a bug, it's a feature. It installs faster that way.
    But seriously I feel your pain. You think it was malicious
    ot just stupid on their part?
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rcgreen
    That's not a bug, it's a feature. It installs faster that way.
    But seriously I feel your pain. You think it was malicious
    ot just stupid on their part?
    i guess it's my own fault for trying to install something that has only been around for a little while.
    And also they could of gave a warning, that hey, the partition part of the install is most likely going to format all available drives in your computer, regardless of what you input into the partition setup of the install..

i've done tons of *nix installs and this was the 2nd time i've had something like this happen, the 1st time was when i first tried a linux distro, {Debian} and i read every thing i could find at the time, and i still managed to screw it up..

Anyhow i recovered the windows partition with all the data intack, thank fruiting god on that..

Just took a few hours of fiddling around with various tools/programs etc.