-[WebCarnage]

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    it's all part of JupMeds requirement to allow THEM to 'own' your work

several members host on their own sites nowadays
    where Nokia hosts his tutorials, the site has NO claim to the work

follow the link
    you'll see
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Originally posted here by foxyloxley
    it's all part of JupMeds requirement to allow THEM to 'own' your work

several members host on their own sites nowadays
    where Nokia hosts his tutorials, the site has NO claim to the work

follow the link
    you'll see
    I'm a little confused here... You're going to have to clarify for me where it says JupM owns your work if you post it here... I went through the AUP and I found this

By posting messages, uploading files, inputting data, or engaging in any other form of communication through this service (collectively "the content"), you are granting Jupitermedia Corp., its successors and assignees, a royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive, unrestricted, worldwide license to use, adapt, transmit, publicly perform or display any such content on the site to which it was contributed (or successor site). In plain English, you allow us to continue to display your contributions to the site. We won't do anything else with them, however.
    That doesn't say they own it... that says they have permission to use it... Which is fair... They don't want you posting something here and then turning around and suâ€*ing them for publishing your content... (even though you posted it)

Peace,
    HT

Banned
    I moved this from the Tutorials forum as it's not an original tutorial. I realize that "original" can be interpreted in many different ways, but I'm sure we can all agree that merely linking to another site isn't exactly what the Tutorials forum is about.

Foxy > I believe you're misinterpreting the JUPM AUP. By posting tutorials here, you do not sign away your rights to that tutorial (in practice, you'll see that the most they'll ever do is link to the tutorial from another one of their sites; most people take that as a compliment) - in fact, Egaladeist legally probably has more rights over tutorials posted on his site than JUPM has over tutorials posted here (and not just because he's Canadian ).

If someone feels like bringing up Irongeek or Tony Bradley's tutorials: I hope you're smart enough to figure out the differences

Edit for clarification: I moved the thread, then wrote my reply while HT posted his reply...

If someone feels like bringing up Irongeek or Tony Bradley's tutorials: I hope you're smart enough to figure out the differences
    I must be having a dumb day ................whats the difference?

Originally posted here by Negative
    I moved this from the Tutorials forum as it's not an original tutorial. I realize that "original" can be interpreted in many different ways, but I'm sure we can all agree that merely linking to another site isn't exactly what the Tutorials forum is about.

EDIT: removed some content --phish

Edit for clarification: I moved the thread, then wrote my reply while HT posted his reply...
    What is the difference?

Tony got paid for his and are not "original" in the sense you mention as he wrote them for about.com? Not sure of the copyright deal he has going on there... I'd imagine about.com "owns" them since he was not allowed to post them here, but instead link them.

Irongeek wrote them (for the most part) for AO but due to how he likes to make them (video) and limitations on this site (can't upload certain size/files) he has to host some of them on his own. Not all of his tutorials are hosted just on his servers, the text based ones are here, just not the video. He retains the copyright and JUPM can only use the text based tutorials he posted here... not the video. (though, they can link to the video)

Not trying to stir the pot here... but, if you moved Nokia's post for doing exactly what Tony has done, you now have to move all of Tony's posts OR put Nokia's back. It is clear that you have a double standard on this topic.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Banned
    Nokia wrote a bunch of fine tutorials for Taz (I count more than 25). If we'd allow him to post this one in the Tutorials forum, we'd have to allow him to post all the other ones in the Tutorials forum (or we'd be accused of "double standards" yet again). The Tutorials forum would be turned into a repository for tutorials on other sites in no time, which was never the intent of the forum (we have the Top Links List for that, and the general forums).

The argument for allowing Tony's tutorials to be posted in the Tutorials forum incompletely (although I don't think we gave it much thought when he first posted them, so this is more of an "afterthought" ) is that he's not allowed to post the complete article here. Going by what foxyloxley said, that argument isn't true for your tutorial.

The argument for allowing Irongeek's to be posted in the Tutorials forum incompletely is that they are video-based; that argument isn't true for your tutorial.

Nokia never gave a reason for not posting the complete article here (I can only assume); foxyloxley gave one, but that one isn't true so I'm not going to go by it. Maybe Nokia does have a good reason, and I'd be more than happy to listen to it - if it's as valid as I believe Tony's and Irongeek's arguments are, I'd be more than happy to move this post back into the Tutorials forum.

Way to hyjack a thread guys.....go get your own!

I do agree 100% with Neg by the way, I suppose if someone had posted a similar thing on the TAZ security tutorial section I would have moved it also!

[/end shameless plug]

Ownership implies the right to use, republish, and sell or capitalize on your own or someone's else's work...this is what the AUP implies and in fact states...as foxy said.

I do not have those rights...and have clearly stated so.

If JupMed does not ' own ' the work then they should not have the right to use, re-publish in any form, sell, or capitalize on any work posted here...

and no matter how you want to sweet the pot Neg you know what it really means.

I'm not saying that AO or JupMed is doing anything different than a million other sites out there...but...call a horse a horse...a horse is not a duck.

Eg

Banned
    In plain English, you allow us to continue to display your contributions to the site. We won't do anything else with them, however.
    It's nice how hard you try to discredit everything AO-related just to get some attention for your own site, Eg - too bad those kind of posts are your only contributions lately.

Isn't it telling that Nokia is the one who has the least problems with the decision?