Messed Up Computer

Thread: Messed Up Computer

Messed Up Computer

I have a computer which someone has let get out of hand. It got tons of **** on it somehow, and now is very messed up. Symptoms:

On start up I get an error that hprblog.exe has referenced 0x00000000. When I start any program, or try to do most anything in a normal boot, then explorer.exe will crash referencing 0x00000000, sometimes msmgsgs.exe will do the same, I have also had sgtray.exe and LUCOMS~1.exe also do this when a program closes. Task Manager will not will crash explorer but it itself will stay running, and then Task manager will crash when closed. After it sits, everything being all crashed, computer will sort of freeze up, and then will explorer will reappear.

I can start it in safe mode, and I can get all the documents off it, etc. but when i try to do a system restore, no matter how far back I go, it will still crash in a normal boot. I did not know that it wasn't a full restore, whatever. I have in the task list some malicious programs are abound it seems:

hpqgalry.exe
    hpqtra08.exe
    184.tmp3072.exe
    HPHPED07.exe
    HPZimp12.exe
    acsd.tmp
    185.tmp
    a042b8c.exe
    hpwhschdz.exe
    hphmon07.exe
    hpztsba9.exe
    wanmpsvc.exe

Computer is not mine and has a relatively complex set up that would suck to rebuild after reinstalling the OS. But if that is what is necessary I'll tell them to suck it. If this is not the place to ask, I will redirect questions if anyone has any advice where to ask.

It's a gas!
    If you can backup all your stuff, do a format/reinstall. This would be the easiest solution.

Edit: What do you mean by a complex setup?

Re: Messed Up Computer

Originally posted here by Tonto

hpqgalry.exe
    hpqtra08.exe
    184.tmp3072.exe
    HPHPED07.exe
    HPZimp12.exe
    acsd.tmp
    185.tmp
    a042b8c.exe
    hpwhschdz.exe
    hphmon07.exe
    hpztsba9.exe
    wanmpsvc.exe
    Your saying all of these show up in your Task Manager? most are drivers for HP related equipment.

hpqgalry.exe hpqgalry.exe is a process associated with Digital Imaging Software from Hewlett-Packard.
    hpqtra08.exe hpqtra08.exe is installed alongside the drivers for Hewlett Packard Imaging devices and installs an easy-to-use traybar icon for quick access to diagnostics. This is a non-essential process. Disabling or enabling it is down to user preference.
    184.tmp3072.exe ???
    HPHPED07.exe HP Photosmart Printer Driver
    HPZimp12.exe HPZimp12.exe driver (for a scanner)
    acsd.tmp ???
    185.tmp ???
    a042b8c.exe ???
    hpwhschdz.exe (is this hpwuschd.exe if it is itís hpwuschd.exe is a process belonging to the Hewlett Packard Software Update Scheduler which displays update information regarding HP's range of products
    hphmon07.exe HP Photosmart Printer Driver
    hpztsba9.exe ???
    wanmpsvc.exe wanmpsvc.exe is a part of the America Online, Inc. Wan miniport (ATW) service. The AOL suite's connectivity relies upon this file heavily, so if AOL is used, this should not be touched

Anything there with ? is suspect, you may want to submit a HJT log to a forum that deals with this stuff or the self analyzer.. http://hjt.networktechs.com/ unless you know what you are doing I would read up on what the output of the log file means before deleting anything with the HJT tool.

Aumha Forums

How to read a HJT log
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    omputer is not mine and has a relatively complex set up that would suck to rebuild after reinstalling the OS. But if that is what is necessary I'll tell them to suck it. If this is not the place to ask, I will redirect questions if anyone has any advice where to ask.
    I'd echo what r3b00+ has written.
    You need to to try to judge how long it will take you to flush the machine Vs how long it would take to reformat/install. Plus can you ever be sure you got everything if you don't nuke it?

I'm also curious as to what you mean by 'Complex setup'.

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    I had a similar issue and junked my HP printer for a Brother all in one.

I can't wish HP anything but grief for the crap they put me through. A stand alone all in one that had to have a cd worth of drivers to work with a computer. Everytime I booted, the HP stuff would try to find updates.

The bastard drivers wouldn't even uninstall correctly.

Life after Carly isn't the same.

If you're going all the way down to the format level, take the extra step to delete the partition table and recreate that.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot