Cisco VPN Bandwidth Question.
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Cisco VPN Bandwidth Question.

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    224

    Question Cisco VPN Bandwidth Question.

    I'm trying to determine how much Bandwidth each Cisco VPN connection will utilize from a T1.
    Or
    How many VPN Connections can be supported by a T1.
    Because
    I may have to get a third T1.

    Essentially, we have some people connecting to the VPN via DSL or Cable on the Outside, and we are currently sharing the T1 between Websites/Internet/VPN. I just forsee it becoming a problem as we add more.

    Thanks for the help.
    There are many rewarding oppurtunities awaiting composure from like minds and great ideas. It in my objective to interconnect great things.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    9
    There are so many factors to consider. If one of your VPN users has a T1 speed (1.5Mbps) or faster line, then one user could use all your bandwidth. If they start a file copy, run a huge database query, or any other network intensive task, it will use the maximum allowed. On Cisco VPN concentrators, I believe you are able to configure bandwidth policies that limit the users. If they have dial-up Internet connections, or some other slower connection, that is a factor too.

    Aside from their connection speed, it also matters what your baseline bandwidth is for the T1. If your T1, before the VPN connections, is already sitting at 60% utilization, that only leaves 40% for VPN connections, in theory. Obviously that won't allow for the full 1.5Mbps to be used for VPN connections.

    There are just too many variables to give you a definitive answer. Hope that helps though.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2

    concentrator

    what is the model of the vpn concentrator?

    if it is 3005 or higher you can set bandwidth limits for each user so it is your determination on how fast you want each user

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    224
    There may be the answer.. We are only using a Pix515E firewall..
    There are many rewarding oppurtunities awaiting composure from like minds and great ideas. It in my objective to interconnect great things.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2
    the pix firewall has very limited vpn options compared to the vpn 3000 series concentrator. If you have a lot of users connecting or have multiple site i would suggest getting a standalone concentrator.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    119
    The concentrators are going to be EOL'd in favor of the Cisco ASA.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •