Thread: Cisco VPN Bandwidth Question.

Question Cisco VPN Bandwidth Question.

I'm trying to determine how much Bandwidth each Cisco VPN connection will utilize from a T1.
    Or
    How many VPN Connections can be supported by a T1.
    Because
    I may have to get a third T1.

Essentially, we have some people connecting to the VPN via DSL or Cable on the Outside, and we are currently sharing the T1 between Websites/Internet/VPN. I just forsee it becoming a problem as we add more.

Thanks for the help.
    There are many rewarding oppurtunities awaiting composure from like minds and great ideas. It in my objective to interconnect great things.

There are so many factors to consider. If one of your VPN users has a T1 speed (1.5Mbps) or faster line, then one user could use all your bandwidth. If they start a file copy, run a huge database query, or any other network intensive task, it will use the maximum allowed. On Cisco VPN concentrators, I believe you are able to configure bandwidth policies that limit the users. If they have dial-up Internet connections, or some other slower connection, that is a factor too.

Aside from their connection speed, it also matters what your baseline bandwidth is for the T1. If your T1, before the VPN connections, is already sitting at 60% utilization, that only leaves 40% for VPN connections, in theory. Obviously that won't allow for the full 1.5Mbps to be used for VPN connections.

There are just too many variables to give you a definitive answer. Hope that helps though.

concentrator

what is the model of the vpn concentrator?

if it is 3005 or higher you can set bandwidth limits for each user so it is your determination on how fast you want each user

There may be the answer.. We are only using a Pix515E firewall..
    There are many rewarding oppurtunities awaiting composure from like minds and great ideas. It in my objective to interconnect great things.

the pix firewall has very limited vpn options compared to the vpn 3000 series concentrator. If you have a lot of users connecting or have multiple site i would suggest getting a standalone concentrator.

The concentrators are going to be EOL'd in favor of the Cisco ASA.