Thread: C++ Books

Custom User

C++ Books

Hi,

Part of my Uni course this year is a project, and I've chosen to do a "port" of the flex/bison partnership using Spirit (I'm guessing that's a very limited explanation of what's involved, but at the moment I've not investigated it thoroughly).

What I would like is if someone could recommend a good book that I can use to learn C++. It doesn't need to be a "For Dummies"-style teach yourself book or anything like that, in fact I'd prefer it wasn't. What I'm looking for is something that I can use as a reference that deals with advanced C++. If not, I guess I'll just learn as I code.

Thanks in advance,

ac

I learned most of my C++ from a book called Problem Solving With C++ (amazon). It's a great resource especially if you don't know any programming languages.

It boasts that it is "the" standard textbook for C++ (and why it would lie ), but it is a great reference to have lying around in addition to learning from it.

I would highly recommend it.
    "The Texan turned out to be good-natured, generous and likeable. In three days no one could stand him." Catch 22 by Joseph Heller.

Buddies? I have no buddies...

Give the BSD daemon some love (proud FreeBSD user)

Developer Extraordinar
    Heh... for my University Course, we use Starting Out with C++: From Control Structures through Objects it's pretty good... but it sounds like you might need something more advanced (this book seems to cover quite a bit though... and so far it's a very good book)

enmand

Currently sitting on my desk is C++ Programming Langauge by Bjarne Stroustrup

Excellent book, covers every faucet of the language that you will probably have to deal with.

C++ Primer by Stacey Lipman and Josee Lajoie

Also good

C++ The COre Language by Gregory Satir and Doug Brown

This is an O'Reilly book and I have never read a bad oreilly book. I rec this one if your looking for the basics. The other two cover a lot more details. This is just if you want the bare basics.

Custom User
    Thanks a lot for the replies, I'll look into them.

ac

Deitel and Deitel's "Programming in C++" ought to be good.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

most books by jesse liberty are good

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b/...0&Go.y=0&Go=Go
    Hi.

Have you tried "C++ How to Program" by Deitel, I have a old copy of this book somewhere and remember it was very easy to follow, and even has an ongoing self study throught the book where you design a elevator simulator.

[EDIT]Looks like The Grunt beat me to it [/EDIT]

But anyway have you looked at the book reviews by ACCU, I found them very usfull

http://brian.accu.org/bookreviews/pu.../0sb/index.htm
    Last edited by mirado.kelly; November 29th, 2006 at 06:28 AM.
    MyBox:

Asus P5VDC-MX
    Celeron 2.8GHz
    512MB DDR 400
    WD 250GB SATA
    DVD-ROM, CD-RW
    Thermaltake 430W PSU
    Netgear WGT624 Router

I've been tring to find time to finish reading Ivor Horton's Begining C++. I dont know how it stacks up to other books, but I asked the handfull of coders I know and they recomended it as a starting point.

My two cents

Ciao