Thread: something is "using" a file

something is "using" a file

how can i find out what is keeping me from deleting a file is there a software that would show me what's handling the file.

i think whatever it is it isn't in the sys tray
    /dev/humor: not found

Maybe "process explorer" or something of the likes.
    "I have died, I will die, It's alright, I don't mind"

You can also go to safe mode, and delete the file from there, because it's most likely not running in safe modus, and can thus be removed.

(This doens't exactly answer your question but I think your intentions are to remove the file)
    Got it Memorized?

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    how can i find out what is keeping me from deleting a file is there a software that would show me what's handling the file.

i think whatever it is it isn't in the sys tray
    Is there some type of software security in place? Perventing it from being uninstalled? Also, (tasklist will inform you how much memory it is being used by the application)I'm not sure what application your trying to uninstall, but i know some applications you have to be logged into them for example in order to remove/delete them from a system for example, (nortons internet security 2006)

It's a gas!
    Check the ntfs permissions on the file to see who the owner is. If you have access to the admin account, take ownership of the file then try deleting it.

you could probably use filemon from sysinternals link
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

You can also go to safe mode, and delete the file from there, because it's most likely not running in safe modus, and can thus be removed.
    But first, you may want to research the file in question and make sure that it really isn't something important. Just because something is not running in the system tray does not mean a critical process is not using some file.

Perhaps the place to start, and the proper question is "what is the name of the file that you are trying to delete?"

But first, you may want to research the file in question and make sure that it really isn't something important. Just because something is not running in the system tray does not mean a critical process is not using some file.

Perhaps the place to start, and the proper question is "what is the name of the file that you are trying to delete?"
    Exactly.
    If the file is a safe file to delete you can either boot into command prompt only mode or boot from a floppy. The cd over to the dir (probally c:\windows\system32)
    and delete the file.

i had a similar problem, where the file i was trying to delete was part of a larger file download. i had to clear the download manager's history since it was a partly downloaded file. i was able to finally get rid of that file.

just a thought..
    Hindsight is an exact science.
    MudBubble