Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cool login trick

cool login trick

If you've forgotten the pwd to ur admin account, on Win XP (I duno if it works on any other OS's), on the welcome screen, press alt ctrl del twice, and then you'll be in the other login screen. Type in Administrator, and no password. U'll be able to log in, unless the owner of the pc has changed either the password or user for that account (which u should do to increase sercurity).

This is not something new. You can see the admin login option from safe mode as well. Most everyone on this board, that uses windows, is going to set a password during install. exept maybe HT.
    "I have died, I will die, It's alright, I don't mind"

Well, good try....and it is somewhat useful information....but you should probably research to see if the subject is already discussed and of what level of difficulty this information pertains to. Like I said, close, but no cigar...maybe next time.
    there's always a way in...

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    Yes it actually worked. I am at work and we have about 15 different notebooks/desktops on floaters that we use to assist customers and what not. Anyways, I was reading this thread while waiting on a call and I decided to give it a shot on one of our 'test' machines and it worked good, gave me administrator access. Very cool trick indeed, here dude/dudette take some greenies. I liked the thread because I didnt know about it. Cheers, Michael

It's a gas!
    Alot of home call-outs i get for forgotten passwords are resolved this way. Surprising that alot of oem installs dont have a password set for the admin account.

Just Another Geek
    That's because most people just click Next (or Skip).
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

If you've forgotten your password to your admin account (or any user account if you happen to be an admin) there's a simple way of resetting it, having said that you do need an admin login of some sort to do this. It's also a good way to generate a decent password.

Open a command prompt and enter: net user username /random (username is the login account name)

Press enter and Windows will generate a strong password which will overwrite whatever password you had and couldn't remember.

Or you could (again from an account with admin privilegs) type start > run > control userpasswords2 which gives the option of resetting the admin pass.

Or you could download lc4 and find the password that way you need a registered version if the program has to start brute forcing but most passwords that users choose don't fall into this category.

The best way dat i hve knwn to reset xp passwords is:

http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

You just hve to boot up using this utility on a floppy...and the rest is easy.

What if ....

What if there is password set for administrator account and user account and no one remembers tht ?

Here is the solution to that all you need is phy., access to that machines, a CD drive from which you can boot, and for sure a Bootable CD created with BartPE with "Windows Password Renew 1.0-RC2" plug-in

This works with WinXp, Win2k windows 2k3 (all)
    Below is the link for creating a BartPE cd with this plug-in (documents).

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/start/
    (this link shows how to create BartPE bootable CD for Creating BartPE CD with plug-in you are on your own, but the software which creates BartPE CD is really helpful for the same just few clicks and you are done.)

Below is the link of all BartPE plug-in which would be helpful to many support persons and Admin as well.

http://www.bootcd.us/BartPE_Plugins_Complete.php

Quote Originally Posted by sheth
    What if there is password set for administrator account and user account and no one remembers tht ?
    You mean if nobody remembers any of the passwords, or no administrator password anyway?

You might have a problem as without at least one user account running as admin, then it's difficult to reset the admin pass (which is the reason user accounts are created, precisely so normal users can't do that sort of thing!).

Your excellent advice sounds very useful in these circumstances better still, don't forget your admin password, particularly if there is only one admin account