Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mac spoofing

Mac spoofing

My University residential network requires you to 'validate' your computer when using it for the first time. Basically it ties your login details to your computer.

I'm guessing it does this by looking at your MAC address. However, I've just got a new laptop and it won't let me validate this - I'd like to be able to use the network from my room on either my original computer or my desktop, but it seems you can only have one computer validated.

I'm assuming that by spoofing the MAC address of my laptop to that of my desktop I could connect. However, I was told MAC spoofing could be detected (this is a wired network).

Any ideas/suggestions before I'm forced to go and consult the "Student Helpdesk" who know only how to print and use Word
    Mama always said, keep your virus definitions up to date.

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    I'm assuming that by spoofing the MAC address of my laptop to that of my desktop I could connect. However, I was told MAC spoofing could be detected (this is a wired network).
    It's not really spoofing more like MAC address cloning. You can 'clone' your desktops MAC address since it's already registered on the network. Your basically doing this so that they can

'Verify that your MAC address is registered with DHCP' is what it sounds like to me.

Theres several tools available that will modify your NIC's mac address.

A few google searches should let you find some.

You'd have to spend some money, but the other option is to get a cheap home router, plug that in to your schools network then change the MAC on that to your desktops MAC address.

I know linksys routers let you do that.
    =

There is a simple way you can change your comps mac on windows. No program needed.

go to start >> connect to >> show all connections or to any thing that allows you to see your network connections.right click on local area connection. Then click on properties. You should be on client for microsoft Networks. Click configure for connect using. Then click on the advanced ta. The click on locally administered address. Put the mac address you want the machine your own to have. In your case this would be the computer that actually has access to the network.

Now, you won't be able to have both comps on the network at the same time but you can connect with that comp now.

If you need the other comps mac address go to start >> run type cmd and then type ipconfig./all

The physical Address is the mac address.

And cheyenne is correct a router will work, only problem with them tends to be that most schools don't want you to have them.

Or you can just do the legitimate thing and have the campus IT department give you access with the new PC. Now there is an idea....
    \"Common Sense, isn\'t that common\"
    \"It is a lot easier to raise a child then it is to repair an adult\"
    -Kruptos

There's always one isn't there.

As I said in my original post, I thought that it was only possible to have one computer validated for my account. Since then, this has been confirmed - validating a new computer unvalidates the old one.

If validating a new computer unvalidates another comp that is part of the network design.

What I told you wouldn't validate another machine it would use the validation that you have on the other machine. Thus allowing you to use your desktop. And no this process won't be noticed by your IT dept. Not that they would even care.

Yes, my reply was to kruptos

Buy a router. I recommend the Linksys WRT54G. (<$60)

Go to the configuration screen... Tell the router to use your PC's MAC address.

Renew DHCP.

Use both computers at once.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

Originally posted here by Synful
    Buy a router. I recommend the Linksys WRT54G. (<$60)

Go to the configuration screen... Tell the router to use your PC's MAC address.

Renew DHCP.

Use both computers at once.
    What a ****ing brilliant idea. +ap.

by: kruptos
    Or you can just do the legitimate thing and have the campus IT department give you access with the new PC. Now there is an idea....
    You're no fun. -ap.
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]