Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help: dealing with unwanted users on WIFI

Help!!!!!!!!!

I'm having a little problem. I have a motorola cable modem and have two laptops tied into it. one by ethernet and the other by USB. When I setup my AV and Firewall (Kaspersky AV and Anti-hacker) I thought that I was safe but after about 2 hrs. of being online (USB) all of a sudden I got a message that popped up on the taskbar saying a new user was added to my network but I have no network. Then I went into my network places and there was a new connection. Am I being hacked? How can I stop it? Please someone help me...... I have sensitive documents on this laptop and might lose my job if any of this info gets out........HELP!

Being that your on cable, its possible.

I would suggset buying a Home router for DSL/Cable modems, and plugging your computers in through that. They have a built in firewall that will help to filter stuff like that.

You can pick them up pretty cheap ($40-150) depends what you get.

But going that route would be far better than what your doing now, and more secure.

If you have sensitive documents on your laptop, unplug it from the modem. lol

:edit:
    You said theres a new connection in network connections, or in network places?

Whats the name of it?
    =

On thing to check, make sure you have remote desktop and remote assistance turned off if you don't need it. And possibly upnp devices as well. But yes, what is the connection type, and what is it called?

---
    edit, caught a mistake
    "I have died, I will die, It's alright, I don't mind"

to cheyenne1212
    it is in my network places on the laptop w/win me and it comes up different every time but here are some acermedia server/ esenjay333, acermedia server/ 958d50011c and residential gateway device.
    to shatteredsoul
    How do I find my remote desktop, remote assistance and upnp devices on ME?

The residential Gateway Device sounds like somethign your computer might make after connecting to the modem.

The other names you listed though sound like other computers...perhaps computers in the same workgroup as your 2 computers. The way cable operates usually, is like one big hub, not to secure.

The next thing I would do is get rid of Windows ME. That was one of the crappiest OS's microsoft ever released. You don't have to worry about Remote Desktop or asisstance on Windows ME, I don't belive its installed on that OS.

UPNP I know on windows XP is accessed via

start --> run --> services.msc

scroll down to UPNP, and stop the service, not sure if its the same on ME.

I would also go through your firewall, and check all your settings, make sure that you have your connection to the modem as an "internet" connection, and make sure its not set in your F/W as a home connection. Not really sure how that type of Firewall works though.
    =

Im going to have to say I should have read that post a few more times. I was under the impression that it was windows xp from the way you descibed the connections appearing. cheyenne1212 covered pretty much everything concerning windows me.
    "I have died, I will die, It's alright, I don't mind"

to cheyenne 1212
    So how do I find the remote desktop and assistance on xp and ME doesn't have services.msc.
    I'd love to change ME but my boss won't let me. I suggested to him that it would be best to go to Linux but he is a newbie and doesn't like change. My laptop is hooked up at home with one of my other laptop which has XP. I have a personal laptop that runs Linux and never had a problem and LOVE LINUX!
    Thanx for help!

For windows XP, go to

start --> Right Click My Computer --> Hit Properties

select the Advanced tab

Make sure "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer" is unchecked.

You can also uncheck "Allow remote assistance invitations to be sent from this computer"

To disable UPNP, just go to start --> run --> type in services.msc

Scroll down till you see "UPNP" you can highlight, right click, and hit stop.

If you can try really really hard to get rid of ME

First chance you get, I'd swing by a store and pick up a Linksys or D-link home router that has a firewall on it. That should help keep you a bit more secure.
    =

Dead Man Walking
    Okay obvious question time. Do you have the wifi security features enabled? With most wireless routers you can limit the mac adresses that are allowed to conncect and I would also recomend seting up some form of wireless encryption. It sounds to me like its an unsecured wireless network and an unsecured box.

ZomBieMann77 is dead on. Secure your network first.
    http://www.wi-fi.org/knowledge_center/security/
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.