Thread: WPA2 in Windows XP SP2

King Tutorial-ankhamun

WPA2 in Windows XP SP2

I noticed that my WinXPSP2 laptop did not support WPA2, even with all of the optional and critical updates. I had to install the KB893357 patch myself. Does Windows update no automatically install WPA2 support? I would have expected it to come down with optional updates with Windows Update.

Thats probably what my problem was! I was reconfiguring my wlan the other day and I tried to use wpa2 with radius. No dice. The utility could see it but I couldn't connect. I saw some doc on m$'s site that said that capability should have been added with SP2?

I ended up having to go with WPAv1 anyway in order to use WDS with the dd-wrt firmware so I gave up on it.

The two laptops I was trying to connect to the AP were both up to date with all critical and optional updates. So, if neither of those machines got the update... it wasn't available through windows update.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I have always had to manually install support for WPA2 for machines I was setting up, even new ones, except my Toshiba laptop ... Toshiba installed it for me
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

No it's not an automatic update and had to be installed manually.

My only guess is that it mey interfear with WEP enabled adaptors or something along those lines so MS played it safe and made it optional.

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Irongeek,
    I remember a few years ago having to install the WPA patch manually on XP systems. I can't remember exactly how long ago, but I do remember doing it. It is probably similar in that you open the pull-down for encryption type and no WPA2 exists until you install the patch. Same deal with WPA some years ago.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    Originally posted here by ShagDevil
    Irongeek,
    I remember a few years ago having to install the WPA patch manually on XP systems. I can't remember exactly how long ago, but I do remember doing it. It is probably similar in that you open the pull-down for encryption type and no WPA2 exists until you install the patch. Same deal with WPA some years ago.

That's pretty much exactly what I saw when I installed the WPA2 patch. Except, if the hardware does not support WPA2, then the option is not there.

Quote Originally Posted by Irongeek
    I noticed that my WinXPSP2 laptop did not support WPA2, even with all of the optional and critical updates. I had to install the KB893357 patch myself. Does Windows update no automatically install WPA2 support? I would have expected it to come down with optional updates with Windows Update.
    I hat to download the patch.

You're wireless adapter must also support WPA2.
    Games and Computers