Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Major Malfunction

Talking Major Malfunction

Here I am again with another problem of the week!

So, PC keeps freezing... Its not overheating, its not a virus... Hardware issue?

I set msconfig to diagnostic mode, then rebooted. PC 5 minutes later freezes.

Hmm...

Ok, I stick XP CD in and try to repair... wont boot from CD drive... I go to bios and make D:/ (MY DVD-ROM) the number one priority drive to boot from. I keep restarting to try an get it to boot from the right device. No gooood....

So what now...

Its not overheating.. becuase pc freeze always after 5 min from start, even if its beed sitting for a long while.

Not memory because I swapped out with known good memory.

Hard-Drive???? Possibly... I doubt it, its newer makes no bad noises... I just dont see why it would be.

Now... what did i do to make this all happen? Nothing! It actually started happening more continuously after i ran a DISK-CHECK.

I run 1 program on it... AutoDest 3DS MaX. I hardly use internet, I surf nothing. I dont have aol and i dont have MSN.

Intel Pent 4 3.0ghz HT
    3 Sticks of PC3200 PCI 512mb RAM
    Seagate 80.gb HD 7200 rpm
    Windows XP Home. Serv. Pack2
    Intel Board 865Pear

Any Ideas???

l

k.... Now... i start up....

I get this CONTINOUS beeeebbeeeebeeebeeeebeeeeebbeeeeebebeeeebeeee

no order no nothing, just continuosly beeping..

:::Update:::

Swapped HD's.... works perfect... somethings wrong with my exsisting HD.

What now?

yet another new bit...

On working PC, after installing D-Link's Wireless DWA 524 network card... it immediatly froze...

Im thinkin this new hardware is freezing my PC...

What do I do?

Banned
    pull all the hard ware out, and then install the basics like hard drive, memory, and video card.
    power on and see if it loads, if it does, then shut down add 1 more piece of hard ware then start it back up again. and repeat you will eventually find the hard ware etc that is the cause of the problem.

cheers
    acidtone..

AOs Resident Troll
    isnt a beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

video???

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Okay... Its gotta be my new D-Link Wireless router... So how di i fix this?

Ive reinstalled the drivers/software but seems to still screw things up.

Im concerned about the message it gives me in the begining about how this hardware has not passed microsoft safety blah blah... "continue installation or stop installation..."

Get a new adapter??? bahh

AOs Resident Troll
    I have set up a ton of dlinks......and never had this problem....unless its an older board.

try a different slot....

Do as acidtone suggested....remove all unessecary hardware...then replace one at a time...

could be a dirty\old install with remnants of older drivers\hardware\software in the system and registry.....

Personally...I would backup the data...format and reinstall....

If the install fails with just video, mouse\keyboard and hardrive....you have a basic hardware issue....if it installs fine....pop in the dlink...if it acts up replace it.

sometimes its just faster and easier to resolve the issue with a clean install.......instead of trying to clean up an old\corrupted install..

IMHO as always

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Acidtone, MLF... you da bomb!

I removed all hardware physically from the mobo. I went ahead and used "Dust Off" and clean the nitty gritty of it all.

One by one i put a device back in.

I got to my D-Link DWA wireless adapter and it froze... i tried again... again...

In the end I have found out that D-Link's Wireless DWA 524 is NOT compadible with Intel Desktop P4 Board D856Pearl

Banned
    glad to hear that you got it sorted out.

so did it feel good pulling your box apart, cleaning it then remembering where everything went, then slowly rebuilding it piece by piece.?

cheers
    acidtone..