Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mount hda1 using Live iso in VMware.

Mount hda1 using Live iso in VMware.

Hello, I'm new here.

I'm fairly new to Linux and I have a little problem,

I need to access my windows files from my live iso (auditor-200605-02-ipw2100.iso) used in VMware, it works when I boot from the CD but when I use it in VMware it will not mount hda1. Would editing the .vmx file do anything?

I will be thankful for any help

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Is this VMware server or ESX?

Within the VMware remote console for the VM itself, edit the settings so that the CDrom points to the absolute location of the ISO. Then check the "Connected" box. Then in the VM mount the ISO as if it was a cdrom (mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom)

Moving to General Computer discussions.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    Any hda1 you see in VMWare is not your reall hard drive. VMWare makes a "Virtual" machine, the hard drive in VMWare is not your real physical drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Irongeek
    Any hda1 you see in VMWare is not your reall hard drive. VMWare makes a "Virtual" machine, the hard drive in VMWare is not your real physical drive.
    So there isn't a way to explore my Windows directory in VMware?

Would MsMittens way work at all?

Thanks for the help.

8105: mount the windows share in as a smb share. Not a recommended method but possible for just a one-off situation.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

Ok. Let me explain what i'm trying to do.

I've installed VMware on a 1gig USB stick along with the auditor iso. Then I will boot into Windows with a limited account, then start up VMware to grab some files from Windows.

Would this be possible?

You mean VMware Player?

So you're loading the VM from Player while having limited-access to the Windows machine and want it to take files (likely admin only?) from Windows, probably through a SAMBA share (this mounts Windows shares)?

When you boot from the CD Auditor is mounting the Windows share as another drive. When you load the USB VMware Player, you need to have the Windows drive shared with appropriate permissions. This link might help: http://tldp.org/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO.html

Quote Originally Posted by MsMittens
    You mean VMware Player?
    Yes the player, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by MsMittens
    So you're loading the VM from Player while having limited-access to the Windows machine and want it to take files (likely admin only?) from Windows, probably through a SAMBA share (this mounts Windows shares)?
    That's what I would like to do but it won't be possible to share a drive while on a limited account with limited privileges would it?

Only if it's given permission/access to those areas.

Let's say i'm not the Administrator, I can't set the permissions for the limited account, I need to copy files from %systemroot%\system32\config while i'm logged on as a limited user and Auditor is booted up in VMware player from my USB stick. I've been reading about SMB and I dont think it will do the job, in my opinion.