Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Troubleshooting Stop 0X24/NTFS_FILE_STSTEM erro

Hybrid View

Question Troubleshooting Stop 0X24/NTFS_FILE_STSTEM erro

Here is the deal. After replacing the ram in a system (which kept having a BSOD) at work all seemed to be well. After a few days I noticed that a different BSOD starting to come up from time to time. This one didn't list anything specific aside from a bunch of error codes.

The main code was the 0X24 code which I assume is caused because of an error with the ntfs.sys file. It seems to be corrupted or at least on its way out.

How do I deal with this issue? Can I simply copy from a perfectly healthy computer to the error prone one and replace the bad ntfs.sys file with a good one? Or am I off target and this error is not that simple? Any tips or tricks you know in getting this error resolved and eliminate the BSOD before it takes a big dive would be great.

I also read through the MS help and support on this issue, but they say to get a Fat32 computer and hook up this HD to that system. WTF?!? where is there a FAT32 file system computer as everything in our office is windows XP and is running NTFS. Any ideas? Thanks in advance guys for any help.
    It's not a war on drugs it's a war against personal freedoms!

Hi there Blunted One, I am afraid that I do not like the sound of this.

Billy Windows will give you error messages, but they are not always the primary cause.

At this point I would ask why you replaced the RAM? also why do you think that this is no longer a hardware problem?

My advice would be to slave the drive to a working NTFS box and grab the important stuff quickly. I would be inclined to suspect your power supply or MoBo at the moment

It had errors on the ram, or at least I thought it did from the memory scans. Dell replaced them for free anyways. It could be a hardware problem and I have heard that it may be related to a mobo. I will tell him to backup important stuff just in case. Does anyone have something I can attempt in order to make an effort and solving this instability/error.

As always thanks Nihil for being so prompt in answering me.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Actually, I had a STOP0x24 recently. It seems to be a corruption with the nyfs.sys file and it may not be related necessarily to the hardware. I was able to resolve it fairly quickly by getting another drive, installing my OS there and using Stellar Phoenix FAT & NTFS Recovery Software. The demo version will show what it can recover. The full version (for $99USD) will recover it (and it did it fast on my system pretty decently).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Is there any way aside from completely moving the data off the drive and reformatting and resetting up, etc, etc.

No way to actually fix the issue. This always seems to be the issue with this OS if it is unstable then you have to start over. I wish I could just replace the ntfs.sys file and be done with it.

Thanks MsMittens for the heads up on the that method and software. I am still thinking this is not hardware related, but then again...

Another suggestion?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    In-place upgrade with an original XP CD would be a good way to do it, IMO: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Why is this in the security forum? Not security related at all.

Data security...hehe...I want to find out how to make windows secure again since this ntfs file is corrupted.

Why take the time to post that? You the posting police? rofl!

Blunted One, when you say you were getting memory errors, was that from the BIOS post sequence or some other means?

I am happy with leaving your post where it is at the moment because it is a data/assets security issue as well?

I suggest that when we find out a solution we will have a probable cause and can then move it to either hardware or operating systems?

Incidentally, have you run a checkdisk with surface scan on your HDD?

Well, try using Microsofts solution for this error message: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=228888&sd=RMVP
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!