Thread: Gigabit Justification...

Hybrid View

Gigabit Justification...

I am turning to eveyone in need of some guidance (as always). I currently have 40 + servers connected to 2 100mb cisco switches. my servers can handle gigabit but we dont have it there right now. I was tasked with putting together a quick business justification for why we should spend the money on 2 new gigabit switches.

Now I could put together something quick and say we have approx 900 nodes connecting to these 40 devices at 100 mb only and by increasing that capability to 1000mb we are increasing throughput and minimizing the current latency that is experienced but I don't want this to look half assed and have them just deny it. soooo.... does anyone have any tips or examples of a justification I can use? I am in a pinch and need it fairly quickly. when completed I will try to put together a reference for everyone to look at in the future.

Thanks in advance
    --Spy
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Your best bet is going to run some baseline analyzing stuff...monitor current throughput on the switches and servers.....if your seeing constant usage, and even spikes above the current capaicty then I think you could justify it, but if at peak times your not seeing over say 50% capacity being used, it could be kinda hard to justify gigbit.

what are these servers used for? What kind of traffic do they push?

Do you yourself see a need for this? I know every administrator would say yeah we need 1Gbps switches, but can you really serioulsy justify it?
    =