Popup message on mouseover thread title

Thread: Popup message on mouseover thread title

Custom User

Popup message on mouseover thread title

I'm starting to like some things about the new board and one thing I noticed is that when you put your mouse over the title of a thread you get a bubble with some of the initial text from the thread in it (to presumably give you an idea of the content). My suggestion is could you possibly alter it so that the thread title showed up instead.

Now I know this might seem bizarre ("Why would you possibly want to see the thread title when it's in front of you in any case?"), but there is a reason for my crazy suggestion! Sometimes thread titles have to be truncated because there isn't enough space for them and you get an ellipses at the end so if the full title showed up in the bubble instead of the start of the message itself, I figure it would be more useful.

I just think that this would save time when browsing the forum in that you wouldn't have to click on threads with (potentially) misleading titles to find out what they are really about. I'll admit that you could argue for it the way it is for pretty much the same reasons, but meh.

[edit] It turns out that this thread is actually an example of what I was talking about since I gave it a somewhat long and perhaps misleading title [/edit]

ac
    Last edited by gothic_type; October 21st, 2006 at 01:29 AM.

Sorry I missed this until now. I think in most cases it would be counterproductive. The idea is to get a glimpse of the post so that if the title isn't descriptive, as you already theorized, you'd hopefully get an idea of the issue from just mousing over it. Also, most thread titles are short enough to show up in their entirety.

I accept the criticism................ the most important moderator function IMHO is to make sure that a thread title is appropriate and that it is in the right forum?

Now, I tend to attempt to contribute on the hardware and software support side because that is what I mostly do these days..............and you frequently have to wait a while before you find out what the real issue is.

[Please, please, folks.............tell us if your problem is fixed...........and which solution worked?]

I would suggest that we fix it this end, rather than with the mouseover, because you have to think about search engines?

Just me

Well we can't force users (particularly new ones) to make thread titles more descriptive, and since we can't, having that title show up on mouseover isn't going to help with that issue. It's best use is as it is. Regarding the other issue you mention, knowing if an issue is resolved, once we sort out a few other leftover problems from the upgrade, we can add a "Mark Resolved" feature which would allow only the thread author, or a moderator of that forum, to click a link in the "Thread Tools" drop down, and visibly mark the thread resolved.

Get it working first

I think that feature will help, as it might stop people opening old threads?

I remember one some months back................the guy got sledged for opening an old thread................ it had never been resolved, and after some discourse we got a fix for his particular version of the problem...............that might help others?

Custom User
    Np - thanks for the replies.

I can't really think of any real way of making it any better either (other than restricting title lengths which wouldn't necessarily work and could cause problems searching for threads).

Never mind, I guess

ac