Thread: ShutDown

ShutDown

Is it possible for a webpage to have some kind of command that half loads the page and then shuts down my computer without warning?

last couple of days i have this happen and wonder if its possible or just that my powerpack inside the box is just abour dead.
    I have to unplug the cord to the wall and replug it in before computer starts up even thou the light on box is still on.

Just Another Geek
    Shutting down without a warning usually indicates overheated equipment. Check if the fans in your computer are still spinning. Especially the processorfan.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Info_Au
    Is it possible for a webpage to have some kind of command that half loads the page and then shuts down my computer without warning?

last couple of days i have this happen and wonder if its possible or just that my powerpack inside the box is just abour dead.
    I have to unplug the cord to the wall and replug it in before computer starts up even thou the light on box is still on.
    Perfectly possible for webpages, and many ways to do it.

But does it always crash while visiting a particular page? Does it crash while your are offline (i'm afraid the word offline still exists in my country )

the light maybe a standby. I dunno how well versed you are with computer's interiors, but what i do is clean up the fans and unplug, clean and plug the RAM back in. yes RAM.

what else do u have in your box? additional soundcards? SLI setup (dual graphics card) etc?

Whats your power supply?

Edit: maybe you should log your core, ambient and card temperatures via

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
    Last edited by chizra; October 25th, 2006 at 03:58 PM.
    Hindsight is an exact science.
    MudBubble

Yes, heat is quite often the reason for spontaneous shutdowns or reboots.

I wouldn't exp[ect the power pack to affect you whilst you have the mains plugged in...............is the machine very old? I would normally expect them to have a bypass to let you run from mains supply.

Try taking the battery out and see if it runs from the mains. Also charge the battery then unplug the machine and just leave it on and see how long it lasts.

Yes, a webpage script could do what you are describing, but there wouldn't seem to be much point. Can you try the page with another PC?