Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Firefox 2.0 come and gettit!

Quote Originally Posted by HTRegz
    -- I dislike the X gone from end of the list of tabs... It's now on each tab... I can no longer open 50 tabs then close as I read by keeping my mouse in one spot.. I have to move it to the specific tab... This was a bad move...
    HT
    go to 'about:config'
    go to 'browser.tabs.closeButtons'
    set it to a value of 0-3
    value 0 == display the 'X' on the active tab only
    value 1 == display the 'X' on all tabs
    value 2 == don't display any 'X's
    value 3 == display the 'X' at the end of the tab bar, like you want.

i use a nightly build version, but i'm assuming this with firefox 2.0, which it should.

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc
    Is this going to auto-update for FF like all the other releases, or is this a special case because it's a new full release?
    I dunno abt others, but in my case, it didnt notify me via tools>check for updates. i came to know from a call from a pal who said its ready.
    Hindsight is an exact science.
    MudBubble

Ok, well maybe it won't then. I have it set to auto-update so i can always test our forum displays in the latest version.

Quote Originally Posted by deftones12
    go to 'about:config'
    go to 'browser.tabs.closeButtons'
    set it to a value of 0-3
    value 0 == display the 'X' on the active tab only
    value 1 == display the 'X' on all tabs
    value 2 == don't display any 'X's
    value 3 == display the 'X' at the end of the tab bar, like you want.

I've got a second post 4 or 5 above yours stating this already

Well I opened FF and it didn't DL any updates. Even clicked check for new updates and it told me no new ones were available, so this is a totally new separate release.

Firefox only updates on point releases, not on major new versions.

The only drawback I found was that some of my extensions weren't compatible, nor were there alternatives that I could use. However, FF2 is very new, and I'd expect that to be addressed in the near future.

It does use a lot of resources and you have to watch how many tabs you end up having open. However, I've got the resources, so I'm not too bothered.
    Last edited by Moira; October 29th, 2006 at 05:49 PM.

All mozilla programs (so far) are quite piggish when it comes to resources.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HTRegz

-- Not enough of the extensions were upgraded quickly enough... I installed Firefox on Monday before the official release... It was until this morning that most of my extensions finally realized that there were 2.0 versions so I could use them again and even so... some of them still don't work... extension backward compatibility should be key... especially since IE 7 is now competing in that space..
    Have you tried using the nightly tester tools.?
    http://users.blueprintit.co.uk/~dave/web/firefox/nightly

This extension adds a few extras useful to those that regularly test nightly builds of Firefox and Thunderbird.
    Features:
    • Allows you to force the application to believe an extension is compatible with the current version and enable it.
    • Allows copying the build identifier and a list of installed extensions to the clipboard.
    • Adds a toolbar button to let you insert the build identifier into the current text box (Not supported in the Application Suite).
    • Lets you customise the title bar to include the build identifier and other information.
    • Provides talkback integration allowing you to quickly view recent incidents as well as a sidebar that shows all incidents still on your machine (you may be surprised at just how many there are).
    • Adds a simple interface for parsing nspr log files for leaks.
    • Lets you take a screenshot of any open window and save it as an image, copy it to the clipboard or submit it to Imageshack (not yet fully functional in cairo builds).
    cheers
    acidtone..

Have I understood this correctly? There's a tool which forces Firefox to believe an extension is compatible and enables it? How does it manage that? Something along the lines of XP's program compatibility wizard?

I would have thought if something wasn't compatible it wouldn't work - end of story, until they upgraded the extension (?)