Thread: What can a Mod do that I cant?

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar

What can a Mod do that I cant?

Hi, I know that a Mod can close bad threads,move threads and ban unruley people. Am I missing anything? I dont want to be a Mod ( too much work for me!) but what is the process to becoming one? How do you get picked?
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Banned
    - Close threads, move threads, split and merge threads, change thread titles, stick/unstick threads

- Ban users

- Change custom titles

- Moderate Quick Tips

That's about it...

Just for the record: we cannot edit posts, we cannot change people's profiles, we cannot read PM's...

Ninja Code Monkey
    Suuuuuure Neg.

:tinfoil:
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

The Texan: And to answer the part of your question Negative didn't answer, you beg and plead till they're annoyed with you to become one.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Mods also can see IP listings...

AO runs on vBulletin, so the mods here shouldn't be terribly different in ability than any other vBulletin site. (Although there are some things not enabled on AO that are enabled on other sites)

Just for the record: we cannot edit posts, we cannot change people's profiles, we cannot read PM's...
    Admins can, IIRC...

FYI: I would make a damn good administrator for AO...
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

FYI: I would make a damn good administrator for AO..
    FYO...............you would make an even better Fig. 11 emulator IMO

Mods can ban people and see IP addresses? I've never been able to do that on any forum I moderated (except one particularly weird one where mods were just like admins but only had partial access to the admin panel). Mostly I've only been able to see IP addresses and have the ability to remove members as an admin on boards.

Quote Originally Posted by MoiraA
    Mods can ban people and see IP addresses? I've never been able to do that on any forum I moderated (except one particularly weird one where mods were just like admins but only had partial access to the admin panel). Mostly I've only been able to see IP addresses and have the ability to remove members as an admin on boards.
    Yes, "Super Moderators" can do that. If you look at the number of sites that JupiterMedia have you will understand that the Admins are pretty busy

Supermods can, yes. Mods can only ban in forums they've been assigned permissions to. Supermods have forum-wide permissions.

I agree with the statements that admins are super busy. I'm super busy just keeping up with the number of topic replies so far from this forum I didn't realise it was so huge!