Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Users still with Win XP SP1

Users still with Win XP SP1

Not so good news for those who still haven't upgraded to SP2, you will have until:

(Note: After October 10, 2006, Windows XP Service Pack 1 will transition to a non-supported status. Upgrade to Windows XP SP2 now for continued security updates and incident support.)
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/SP2/default.mspx

PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    I have some issues with this, to your average end user if their pc works it works and they really dont give a sh*t about updating to sp2 or anything else. I see that the link you posted links to MS.com my question is: Does MS publish these "warnings" anywhere other than their own website? How is a average enduser supposed to know about this if he/she doesnt visit MS.com?
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

I thought they already did that. Chit, I ran into a user who was still running XP 2002 (original version) the other day. Couldn't believe it. It was a hand-me-down to a non-profit from the director's sister. He-heh, they now know how to spell u-p-d-a-t-e-s.

“Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Originally posted here by The Texan
    I have some issues with this, to your average end user if their pc works it works and they really dont give a sh*t about updating to sp2 or anything else. I see that the link you posted links to MS.com my question is: Does MS publish these "warnings" anywhere other than their own website? How is a average enduser supposed to know about this if he/she doesnt visit MS.com?
    Hi Tex

Most user's if they have Automatic Updates enabled would not have to worry about being told to ensure they have the latest patches as I am sure the SP2 would have been forced onto them by now.It's a personal choice for some though, myself I have it disabled, I know enough to keep an eye out for updates, also by now everyone knows or should know most of the updates are rolled out on a Tuesday, so on the morning of the updates, go to Windows Update site and get the latest patches.

Most WinXP's out of the box come with Windows Automatic Updates enabled by default, for those who are having problems now, it's because at some point they disabled it, probably because they read that article on services not really needed by Black Viper (no longer available ) and figured they would be okay.

MS does put out a lot of notices, usually one way is through the news groups, if the user's were really interested they would seek out the info?

Claude Swanson

How is a average enduser supposed to know about this if he/she doesnt visit MS.com
    They Visit sites where people like Dalek Post these sort of news items.

Problem is the average user is completly ignorent to the Updates, who, how, what, where, why and when. I am sure many of us could quote a tale or 2 of pc's they looked at when removing a virus or 20, to see the update notification for 30 or more ms updates that either need downloading or installing.. and the reason.. the customer was scared as to what they were, they were afraid that they were a virus or other..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I've been working in doctor's surgeries for a few months, and the amount of PC's on different levels of XP

basic first edition XP
    SP1 and SP2

but damn nigh ALL of em needed a bucketful of further updates to reach the 'standard' set into my daily script ........

worst case was a W2K Pro with NO SP's
    took me almost two hours to add SP3 [SP4 will not load straight onto a 'bare bones' system
    then SP4 followed by IEv5 to v6 then up to IE v6 SP1

THEN the PCT [suppliers of the PC's] arrived with NEW kit, and REPLACED THAT ONE
    and they replaced it with XP SP2 that needed almost 40 further patches, which sort of implies that their image is getting on a bit .........................

I am no longer shocked at what I find
    just disappointed
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

I don't know if its still the case or not, but on a few of my XP installations I intentionally never installed SP2 because of the changes that were made to the TCP/IP stack regarding the number of connections that could be opened at once...that didn't jive too well with some of the scanning tools I use and the 'hack' to put it back in SP2 wasn't working for me very well...

I don't know if M$ has corrected the issue or not, but after the problems I had, I came to realize that SP1 was still fully supported, so I continued to use it...guess it had to come to an end some time. Does anyone know if M$ reversed itself on the TCP/IP thing or of a more straight forward way to put it back to a pre-SP2 footing?
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Hmmmmm,

Maybe I am getting paranoid but isn't it becoming Adolf Gates and Benito Ballmer of late?

I guess it is time for all you developers out there to work on dumbed down GUIs for Linux?

Just my feelings

Originally posted here by nihil
    Hmmmmm,

Maybe I am getting paranoid but isn't it becoming Adolf Gates and Benito Ballmer of late?

I guess it is time for all you developers out there to work on dumbed down GUIs for Linux?

Just my feelings
    nihil...going over to the "Dark Side" are we.....Lol..

Claude Swanson

Originally posted here by dalek
    nihil...going over to the "Dark Side" are we.....Lol..
    To be absolutely honest with you, I used UNIX before I used Windows

I conducted an experiment at a local care home where I inserted a freebie I had "won" with Linspire on it (I bought the Linspire and apps).

I considered that to be a "clean" and unprejudiced environment? ........ they love it! and they haven't even heard of Windows

It can be done, and I have said before, I wonder if MS know how close the alternatives are to them?